Chapter Seventy-One: Tom's Arrest

Here is the penultimate episode! Thanks for the 141k reads and 6k votes, it all means a lot and encourages me to write.
Enjoy!

***************

Power echoed through the silence, it pounded through the air and straight to Merlyn. As the magic hit her own, Merlyn's eyes snapped open. Sitting up Merlyn scanned her small dark chambers trying to find the thing that had awoken her from her sleep. By now Merlyn knew to trust her magic. Quickly, the witch jumped out of her bed and made her way towards the pulsing power completely forgetting she was in her night clothes.

The girl made her way through the cold, lifeless castle and the Square before she began to head into the Lower Town. She had no idea what the power was or where it was coming from but the further she ventured into the town the more worried she became. Why on earth was there magic in the Lower Town?

Whilst Merlyn was sneaking her way around she suddenly realised that she wasn't the only one walking around. In actual fact there were quite a few people wandering around. Taking a closer look at the people Merlyn realised the six men consisted of Arthur and a gang of guards. They looked like they were on a mission ... to Tom's Forge (Gwen's father). Quickly, Merlyn's sneaking turned into running and the girl found herself entering the back of the Forge. She could vaguely hear two people speaking. One of them she recognised as Gwen's father. Darting behind some Forge equipment Merlyn watched the pair. But before she could figure out what was happening, the Forge door's burst open to reveal Arthur and his guards.

"Seize him!" Arthur ordered. Gwen's father froze in shock whilst the other man whose face was hidden by a hood grabbed heated objects and threw them into the cool water creating an effective smoke screen for himself. Merlyn stood up in shock as she tried to see through the smoke.

"Quickly, after him!" Arthur ordered. Merlyn could vaguely see a pair of guards restraining Gwen's father. Tom begged with Arthur to not arrest him but Arthur had no choice. Merlyn couldn't believe it; Gwen's father was being arrested! And that wasn't the only problem. The sorcerer who was racing away from the guards was coming right at her. With a scream, Merlyn was slammed into by the sorcerer. Whilst Merlyn crashed to the ground, the sorcerer only stumbled by swearing as he caught his footing. Unknown to everyone the collision caused the sorcerer to drop an important small leather pouch.

Arthur who had been studying the gold be held in his hands suddenly heard the crash and a feminine scream. There were no women around. Quickly the prince moved towards the sound whilst the guards chased after the sorcerer. As he made his way through the forge he spotted two bare feet sticking out from behind a counter. Moving to stand in front of the person Arthur was surprised to a see an annoyed Merlyn sitting on the floor in her white floor length nightgown, glaring in the direction the sorcerer had ran. What on earth was she doing out in the Forge?

"Merlyn?" He asked gaining the servant's attention. Looking up Merlyn gave Arthur a shy smile before she took the hand he offered. Pulling her up to her feet, Arthur couldn't help but frown. He couldn't fathom an idea why she was wondering around the Lower Town so late at night ... in her nightgown!

Immediately Arthur felt his cheeks blush as his eyes dropped down to Merlyn's clothing. Her nightgown was not made of the thickest material and it was clear it was the only thing she was wearing - a fact that Arthur was very aware of.

"Hey Arthur" Merlyn said as she tried to wipe the dirt off her clothing, she was highly annoyed at the dirt she knew would be on the back of her dress, more specifically on her backside. She was very glad there were very few people around. Giving up on wiping down her clothing Merlyn looked back up at Arthur only to find the prince with bright red cheeks. He was blushing! Arthur never blushed. "Arthur why are you blushing?"