Chapter Forty-Three: A Drowning Prince

The dark haired beauty charged into Arthur's rooms, fear clouding her mind. Merlyn had said she would protect Arthur and since Sophia had him Morgana knew something had happened to Merlyn. As she entered the room, her fears were correct. There on the floor was Merlyn ... unconscious.

"Oh god, Merlyn" Morgana mumbled as she raced to Merlyn's side. She brushed the dark hair out of Merlyn's face just as the girl groaned. Morgana sighed in relief. Merlyn was alive. The servant groaned a bit more as she started to move, waking up from her unconscious state. This girl fell unconscious far too often. Carefully, Morgana helped Merlyn sit up whilst Morgana scanned the room for any evidence of Sophia or Arthur - she knew they had left already but she had no idea where they had gone. "What happened to you?"

Merlyn raised a hand to the back of her head as she glanced over at the blurry figure that she recognised as Morgana, no one else wore such lovely gowns. Once more, Merlyn felt pain everywhere the moment she woke up - she hoped this wouldn't become a normal occurrence, it hurt so much. Every move she made came with a radiation of pain everywhere; her body was already bruised from her fall in the woods this attack had just made it worse. Merlyn was going to kill Arthur herself after saving his royal arse. 

"Aulfric, magic" Merlyn stated as her eyes finally focused. Morgana gasped at the word magic, she knew something had been wrong she just hadn't thought it would have been that. Suddenly, Merlyn took note of Morgana beside her and Aulfric, Sophia and Arthur's absences. "Where's Arthur? I have got to go after him. What's that buzzing noise?" Merlyn quickly stumbled to her feet, a buzzing noise echoing through her skull. What on earth?

"Careful, Merlyn, you can barely stand up" Morgana said, concern clear in her voice. Whilst her concern was flattering to Merlyn it was unnecessary in that moment. Sophia would have taken Arthur some time ago.

"I have to go" Merlyn stated firmly finally finding her footing and heading towards the door of Arthur's chambers.

"You can't, not in this state" Morgana replied as she grasped the servant's arm. Guilt had flooded Morgana's system - she had asked Merlyn to help protect Arthur and now Merlyn was injured ... again. "I'll send some guards."

"No!" Merlyn shouted turning to face Morgana. Morgana gasped at the determined look in Merlyn's eyes. "If Uther finds out this is magic, he'll start a witch hunt, killing people that don't deserve to die. I will get Arthur back." Whilst Morgana believed Merlyn's words she was worried at what cost to Merlyn it would be. Would Merlyn die trying to save Arthur?

"Merlyn..."

"I have to go, Morgana. He'll die if I don't. And I can't leave him to her" Merlyn said as she reached down to her detachable skirt and immediately began removing it a plan swiftly forming in her mind. "Please, just make sure that no one knows Arthur is missing ... and get Gaius he'll need to check Arthur when I get him back." With those orders Merlyn threw her skirt onto Arthur's bed and raced out of the chambers leaving a stunned and worried Morgana behind. Truth be told Morgana was in awe of Merlyn's loyalty.

"Good luck."

~8~

Arthur was stood beside the Lake of Avalon, however, he was completely unaware of everything. He was in a complete trance; he couldn't talk, he couldn't hear, his mind was a blank. For the last few days he had been drifting in and out of consciousness, his mind in a constant blurred state. One minute he would be in his chambers next minute he was in the woods - Arthur couldn't recall the last time he had spoken to his father, trained with his knights, seen Merlyn - everything and anything was consumed by Sophia. A small part of Arthur fought against this feeling, fought against whatever was happening however this part of him was too quiet, too weak against the pulsing thoughts that consisted of Sophia. He would do as Sophia wanted; he loved her and only her.