Chapter Two: Prince Arthur

Merlyn... Merlyn...

Merlyn's eyes shot open. Where was the voice coming from? Merlyn's eyes scanned the room but there was no one there ... but she could have sworn she heard someone (she would have bet her life on it). After several moments of continuous silence, Merlyn shook her head, believing that she must have just imagined the voice. Sighing, Merlyn finally got out of her bed. It was strange that she was sleeping in a bed, she dint have one back in Ealdor – she always slept on the floor. She quickly got dressed into her black tight-fitted trousers, long-sleeved dark green shirt with her vest corset on top but foregoing the green coat that she had wore yesterday and made her way into Gaius' chamber. The old man was serving up what looked like breakfast.

"I got you water. You didn't wash last night" Gaius announced. Merlyn smiled gratefully at him.

"Thank you" Merlyn replied as she made her way towards him.

"Help yourself to breakfast" Gaius said as he placed a bowl down on the bench. Merlyn sat down in front of the bowl and found herself staring at sloppy porridge (or at least what was supposed to be porridge). It wasn't the most appealing bowl of food but Merlyn had definitely eaten worse. As Merlyn went to eat the porridge she noticed the bucket of water that Gaius had placed on the table beside her fall. On instinct her eyes glowed golden as her hand reached out and the bucket froze in the air, the water that was spilling out frozen too. Gaius gasped. Merlyn's attention swung to Gaius, almost immediately Merlyn let the bucket and water fall to the ground with a crash.

"How did you do that? Did you incant a spell in your mind?" Gaius questioned, he had never seen anything like it in his life. Merlyn shrugged her shoulders. She had no idea how she did magic, it just happened.

"I don't know any spells."

"So what did you do? There must be something" Gaius insisted.

"It just happens" Merlyn replied as she got up from the table and found a mop sitting in the corner of the room. Grabbing it she quickly ran back over to the large puddle of water and began mopping up the mess.

"Well, we better keep you out of trouble. You can help me until I find some paid work for you." Gaius announced. Merlyn hadn't even thought about work, her mind had been preoccupied with Camelot frankly. "Here." Gaius handed her two items, a small sac and a bottle with yellow liquid inside. "Hollyhock and Feverfew for Lady Percival, and the bottle is for Sir Olwin. He's as blind as a weevil, so warn him not to take it all at once." Merlyn nodded even though she had no idea who either of them were. As Merlyn went to leave Gaius offered her a sandwich that looked so much more appetising than the slop in the bowl behind her. She gave Gaius a large smile as she picked up the sandwich with glee.

"Off you go. And Merlyn, I need hardly tell you that the practice of any form of enchantments will get you killed" Gaius reminded the young witch. Merlyn nodded in understanding, she was well aware of the dangers that lurked around every corner due to her magic. She gave the physician a quick wave as she left the chambers in search of two strangers.

~8~

Merlyn quickly became frustrated as she realised she couldn't find the two people anywhere. She had never been to Camelot and was seemingly expected to know who everyone was and where they lived. Merlyn sighed as she found herself again circling the same areas over and over again. Suddenly, she crashed straight into somebody.

"Oh my god, I'm sorry" Merlyn immediately apologised. She found herself staring at a pretty young maiden who was carrying a lavish, elegant dress.

"That's quite alright, it was an accident" the young woman said with a kind smile on her face. Merlyn blushed at her clumsiness – Merlyn was an excellent fighter yet she could still be one of the blindest people ever when not in a fight.