Chapter Twenty-Eight: Basic Training to The Final Test

After the argument he had had with Merlyn Arthur became determined to prove he wasn't jealous. He wasn't treating Lancelot any differently to the other knights, which was why he was going to test him. Arthur had earlier sent the wannabe knight to the blacksmiths. As Arthur came into the lower town to the blacksmiths he spotted Lancelot sharpening swords. A brief moment of anger washed over him as he his thoughts drifted to Merlyn – who did Lancelot think he is?

Arthur scowled as he picked up a broom that was resting along a fence and threw it at Lancelot. Arthur internally grunted as Lancelot quickly caught the broom with one hand – Arthur was having very mixed emotions: on the one hand quick reactions was essential to being a knight and Arthur would glad have Lancelot serve beside him however on the other hand quick reactions was essential to being a knight and that would mean he was one step closer to being a knight and one step closer to staying in Camelot ... near Merlyn.

"Not bad" Arthur commented as Lancelot stood up the broom still in his hand, eyeing the prince cautiously. Carefully, Lancelot bowed – he clearly remembered what happened the first time he had bowed to Arthur.

"Would you like me to sweep the guardhouse again, Sire?" Lancelot asked politely, every bit the knight.

"It certainly needs sweeping" Arthur said before he grabbed another broom and removed the bristles that were on the end leaving only a stick, "But first ... I'd like you to kill me."

"Sire?" Lancelot questioned completely confused. It didn't seem Lancelot had brains.

"Come on. Don't pretend you don't want to" Arthur goaded as he watched Lancelot remove the bristles off his own broom. "Hell, if I were you, I'd want to. Come on!" Lancelot was still unsure of the prince's demands, it wasn't everyday a prince asked you to kill him.

Suddenly, Lancelot lunged at the prince with his stick, a move that Arthur easily blocked. The two sparred for a moment before Arthur swung his stick-sword in an arc at Lancelot forcing the other man to stumble backwards out of the way.

"Come on, Lancelot, you're not beating a carpet" Arthur said as he expertly span his sword. Lancelot once again went for Arthur but Arthur expertly blocked the moves with only one hand on his stick. Finally, Arthur attacked Lancelot. Lancelot was able to battle Arthur but then the prince shouldered the man into a cart of hay. Lancelot fell back at once. His eyes widened as he saw Arthur's stick coming down towards him. Just in time, Lancelot moved. Arthur had to admit his reflexes were good in an actual fight.

Once again the pair was facing one another and their sticks became almost blurs as the pair tried to hit the other. The fight got faster and harder when suddenly Arthur finally rammed his stick into Lancelot's stomach. Lancelot stumbled backwards gasping at the pain that radiated through his abdomen. Arthur couldn't deny it, Lancelot was good.

"Congratulations, Lancelot" Arthur said, suddenly he threw his stick at Lancelot who caught it easily, "You just made basic training."

As Arthur turned away towards the castle the warning bells rang out. Immediately, the prince's eyes shot towards the skies. Without a second thought Arthur ran towards the castle to find out what was going on. As he ran passed dozens of people he saw villagers left, right and centre who were injured, covered in dust from fires and covered in scrapes and bruises. Amongst it all he spotted Merlyn and Gaius attending to the people. Merlyn's hair was pulled back into a ponytail that was swinging madly as she practically bounced between five of her own patients helping in any way she could. Running to Merlyn he pulled her aside gently.

"What happened to these people?" Arthur asked even though he feared he already knew the answer. Merlyn sighed.

"Their village was attacked by a winged monster" she answered. Arthur swore under his breath. Merlyn could only offer a squeeze to his arm as comfort – the prince was highly frustrated that he couldn't protect his people.