Chapter Twenty-Nine: A Knight Of Camelot

The Throne Room was full of people, court members, servants and of course the king, Arthur and Morgana. Lancelot was once again on his knees in front of royalty with a sword pointed towards him. However, this time the sword was pressed lightly on each shoulder as the king recited the words Lancelot had wished to hear every since he was a child.

"Arise, Sir Lancelot, Knight of Camelot." Applause thundered through the room. Gwen stood beside the Lady Morgana as Lancelot stood up.

"Who is this man? He seems to have come out of nowhere" Morgana questioned curiously. She didn't think anything bad about the man she was just curious to where he had come from.

"I know. It's been a bit of a surprise to all of us" Gwen replied, a smile on her face at Lancelot's happiness. She knew he would make a great knight. On the other side of the king stood Arthur and Merlyn. Arthur was stood with his arms crossed looking proudly onto Lancelot. He was going to be one of the best knights of Camelot.

"Would you look at that he's a knight" Merlyn commented, "I told you he would be."

"Yeah you did" Arthur replied.

"I honestly thought you were going to kill him after he knocked you on your ass" Merlyn said. Arthur scoffed - Merlyn didn't realise how close Arthur had been to killing the other knight. But he had remembered Camelot's great need for knights just in time. Arthur didn't reply to Merlyn, he just walked towards Lancelot who had finally finished speaking with the king. Merlyn couldn't help but smile as the prince wrapped his arm around Lancelot's shoulders. She had done the right thing in helping Lancelot; one more person protecting Camelot and Arthur, and a well deserved man became a knight.

~8~

As expected a great celebration was put on for Lancelot. Many had been invited. Merlyn was currently in a room full of knights and servants alike. She was watching as Arthur and Lancelot sat with one another on top of table a drink in their hands. It was nice to see Arthur actually being nice to Lancelot for once.

Suddenly, Gaius appeared beside Merlyn with a grim expression on his face. Merlyn sighed, she was about to get lectured.

"The First Code of Camelot has never been broken for any man. What've you done, Merlyn?" Gaius asked seriously. Merlyn looked towards the floor; she knew how dangerous her actions had been.

"Okay, I bent the rules a little, but the rules are wrong. They're unfair" Merlyn tried to justify her actions.

"You bent the rules? Using magic?" Gaius asked clearly unhappy. Merlyn's eyes shot to scan the area at the mention of her magic.

"It was nothing, honestly. It was more of a trick than actual magic" Merlyn muttered.

"Your magic is not a toy, Merlyn. It's not for you to use or abuse as you see fit" Gaius scolded, Merlyn couldn't deny the fact that Gaius had a point but what was done was done, she couldn't change it.

"I know" Merlyn sighed, "It's just I owed Lancelot my life and I was paying for that debt the only way I could ... by giving him the opportunity he deserves. Look at him, Gaius. Does he not deserve this moment?"

The pair looked towards Lancelot who was still with Arthur. Gaius sighed.

"I never said he didn't. But you played God, Merlyn. You set him on a path of your choosing. Tonight you brought him triumph, but who knows what the future may hold" Gaius warned. Merlyn groaned she had to enjoy the here and now; turning towards Gaius she gave him a big smile.

"Yeah, I don't know what it said on your invitation, but on mine it said celebration" Merlyn commented. The old physician only laughed lightly