Chapter Thirteen: The Tournament Ends

Arthur had been silent all morning, as had everyone else. Arthur had noticed all of the sorrowful looks he was getting off the Castle's staff, other Court members even some of the townsfolk he had passed. It was clear. They thought he was going to die in his fight against Valiant ... and he couldn't say they were wrong. If Valiant used the snakes what could Arthur do? If he was pinned beneath Valiant's shield as Sir Ewan was, how could he dodge the snakes? Simple answer: he couldn't.

Arthur was stood inside his tent with his old manservant, Morris. Arthur would admit he wished it was Merlyn beside him but he had decided it was better to let her sleep, then she wouldn't potentially see him die. Morris worked in silence as he prepared Arthur for the Tournament Final. Everyone and everything was tense - it seemed that all of Camelot believed him about Valiant except for the one man that it counted for, the King. Arthur was worried though he never would admit it. As he stared off towards the arena he felt Morris stop working - he was supposed to be fixing on his armour.

"Morris" Arthur started quietly before he turned to find Morgana beside him instead of Morris. The king's ward stood in a beautiful blue dress that flowed to the floor, however, it was her concerned face that caught his attention.

"Let me" Morgana spoke softly before her soft fingers checked each buckle and clip on his armour, making sure it was all secure. As he observed her movements he noticed the slight tremor in her hands. She was scared. Once she was finished, she turned to hand him his helmet.

"I used to help my father with his armour" Morgana said even though Arthur already knew this. He wordlessly took his helmet. What was there left to say?

"Thanks." Sighing Arthur began to walk towards the tent's entrance. Before he could leave he heard Morgana call out for him. He stopped in his tracks and turned back to face her.

"Be careful." Arthur only nodded. He didn't know how careful he could be.

"See you at the feast" Arthur said though his voice was not filled with any sort of confidence. Morgana gave him a tight smile. They could only pray what he said was right.

~8~

The bed was so soft. Merlyn was comfortable and warm and ... her bed felt nothing like that! Merlyn's eyes shot open. Merlyn was certainly not in her own room, the room was ten times the size of her own, it had a large table and a fire, a wardrobe, a desk - all things she herself had cleaned and used ... she was in Arthur's room, on his bed!

Merlyn sat up quickly; she didn't remember falling asleep the night before. Looking down she found herself still in her dress on top of Arthur's covers, the blanket that had been on her pooled at her waist. Slowly, Merlyn removed her blanket and got to her feet. Merlyn couldn't understand why she was sleeping on Arthur's bed, why had Arthur moved her to his bed? Why had he let her sleep all night?

Sighing, Merlyn made her way over to Arthur's window. She had to look a mess. Smoothing down her hair Merlyn study everything she could see. Arthur did have a beautiful view. Suddenly, her eyes landed on the tents and stadium. Merlyn could see the crowd in the stands.

"Arthur..." Merlyn's eyes widened. He was fighting Valiant, at that moment. Swearing, Merlyn raced out of Arthur's chambers. If Valiant used the snakes, Merlyn had to be there to help. As she made her way through all of the corridors and halls, Merlyn had a constantly niggling thought...

She had never perfected the spell; she hadn't made the statue dog come alive.

~8~

The stadium was packed, the people ready. Arthur questioned if he was himself. Valiant was already on the field with his sword and shield. He stood facing The King waiting for the Prince to appear. Arthur only sighed as he slipped his helmet on and stood before the King as well. Each knight bowed to Uther, who nodded his head in recognition. As Tournament etiquette declared, the competitors touched swords before falling into their starting stances. Silence fell across the arena. Valiant and Arthur locked eyes. Was this his last fight? Valiant charged, shouting as he swung his sword.