Chapter Forty-One: The Sidhe And Avalon

Just for reference in case anyone has forgotten or does not know 'Sidhe' is pronounced Shee.

**************

In the end Merlyn had to use magic. Sophia was trouble and Merlyn had to keep an eye on her but after her fall she couldn't move. Magic could help her heal; help her move so ... magic it was! Now Merlyn found herself back at her chores. As she vigorously cleaned Arthur's armour that he had to wear that day, Merlyn's mind moved over various ideas, ways that would keep the two strangely close love birds apart. However, movement from behind Arthur's screen caught her eye - she hadn't thought Arthur was still in his room. She watched as the prince himself walked out from behind his screen ... fully clothed!

"You're dressed!" Merlyn gasped, Arthur was a stickler for not getting out of bed and refusing to move - Merlyn often found herself literally dragging Arthur out of bed which often ended with him in a sprawl on the floor caught in his bed sheets. Suddenly, Merlyn realised what Arthur was actually wearing. He was in his casual clothing: he was in a dark blue tunic, brown breeches, belt properly buckled, (Merlyn's favourite) long brown coat and boots done up tight. It was impressive he knew how to do that but he was supposed to be in his armour.

"Nothing gets past you, does it, Merlyn?" Arthur sarcastically said as he rolled his eyes.

"What ... you're supposed to be wearing these!" Merlyn complained as she picked up the hauberk she had been polishing. "Your father's bestowing a knighthood on one of your men this morning." Merlyn frowned as she threw the armour back onto Arthur's bed and glared at the prince.

"I'm giving it a miss" he nonchalantly announced with a shrug of his shoulders. He didn't care.

"Won't the King mind?" Merlyn questioned, even though she already knew the answer. Of course the king would mind, it was one of Arthur's knights. What was he playing at? A second day of neglecting his duties and gallivanting off with Sophia. This was ridiculous.

"Not if you, err, cover for me, again" Arthur stated with a pleading smile on his face. "By the way, thanks for yesterday, I heard you avoided punishment well done." Merlyn sighed as she turned her back on the prince and looked towards the armour she had been working on.

"Barely" Merlyn muttered however it was clear that Arthur didn't care - hell he didn't care about Merlyn full stop, he hadn't even asked her how she was even though he had carried her to Gaius the day before. Merlyn was becoming more and more hurt by Arthur's lack of care for her

"Had you been punished it certainly would have been worth it" Arthur commented. Merlyn held her tongue back from snapping.

"So it went well?" Merlyn mumbled through gritted teeth.

"Great. Fantastic. Until you turned up injured" Arthur said in the most uncaring fashion. Now that really hurt Merlyn. For a moment his words registered with him and Arthur heard how his words sounded. He immediately turned to Merlyn and went to gently grab her arm however the servant moved out of the way. She couldn't be around him at that moment. What was he thinking?

"I'll cover for you, it's not exactly like I have a choice" Merlyn stated without looking at Arthur. Grasping the newly polished armour Merlyn walked out of the chambers before Arthur could say anymore. Merlyn could only hope that Arthur was under a spell otherwise their friendship was quickly going to disintegrate with his new found attitude.

~8~

Once again Arthur found himself in the woods. A part of Arthur wanted to find Merlyn yet a stronger part wanted to stay with Sophia, so he stayed with Sophia. Now the two were acting like little children racing through the forest together, Sophia giggling and Arthur chasing her.