Chapter Twenty-One: To Save A Servant

All Arthur had wanted to do was have a drink. Uther and Bayard had toasted practically everyone in Camelot and Mercia before Arthur's cup had been ripped from his lips by his clumsy servant claiming it was poisoned. He now wished that he was drinking out of the chalice more than anything. He pleaded to every god he knew for the chalice to be fine, for Merlyn to be mistaken. He did not want to see her poisoned again. The difference however this time was Merlyn knew the liquid had poison in it and she was drinking it for him, she was going to die instead of him.

Arthur knew the panic was written all over his face; he didn't bother to hide it as Merlyn's eyes locked onto his face. He found himself whispering 'don't' to which the young witch only sadly smiled. He just wanted to save her from her own stupidity. Blue locked onto blue as Merlyn lifted the chalice to her lips and began to drink the liquid. Arthur's heart clenched as Merlyn finished the chalice and lowered the chalice from her lips. The entire room held their breath.

"Its fine" she announced as she frowned down at the chalice. She was obviously confused since she had been so sure the drink was poisoned. Arthur had never been so grateful for those words.

"She's all yours" Uther said before he made his way back to his seat. Arthur watched as guards began to make their way over to the still confused servant who was still staring intently inside the chalice. It would all be fine, Merlyn would get locked up for awhile and Arthur would be able to get her out of the jails before Bayard decided on her punishment.

As Arthur went to turn back he had a choking noise behind him. Spinning around Arthur found himself staring into the wide, scared eyes of his servant. Her hand was clutching her throat, scratching, trying to get much needed air into her lungs. She was staring at him, practically pleading with him to help.

She had been poisoned!

As Arthur stepped forward, Merlyn's eyes rolled back into her head and she collapsed. Everyone gasped in shock as the Prince of Camelot raced forward and managed to drop to his knees and catch the servant in his arms. Her head hung over his arm as her hand, that had been holding the chalice, limply fell to the floor allowing the deadly cup to roll away. Arthur could feel the panic creeping up his throat as he cupped Merlyn's cheek. She was on fire! His skin burned against her own.

"Merlyn? Merlyn? Please open your eyes" Arthur begged quietly, his voice undetectable by anyone in the room. "You can't die, I forbid it."

"It's poisoned" Uther exclaimed swiftly ordering the seizure of Bayard and his men. As the commotion happened, people's gazes were torn from the prince who was cradling his servant as if she was glass.

Arthur was frantic inside. He couldn't believe it. Worst of all he didn't understand why she want healing herself, he thought that witches could heal! As Arthur fussed over Merlyn he never saw the figure bending down beside him. Suddenly, a hand came into his view trying to get to Merlyn and on instinct Arthur reached out and snatched the hand tightly. The older hand was trapped in his grip as his eyes flew to the culprit. His face immediately flushed as he saw Gaius staring at him in complete shock.

"Sorry" Arthur mumbled as he released his hand and allowed, with some resistance, for Gaius to look at Merlyn. Gaius' hand shot to her neck to check her pulse. Arthur could see the tension in the older man, although he was acting the part of the physician Arthur spotted the fear residing in his eyes.

"W-We" Gaius began before clearing his throat, "we have to get her back to my chambers. Bring the goblet. I need to identify the poison."

Arthur swiftly slipped his other arm beneath his servant and cradled her against his chest as he stood. Merlyn whimpered in his arms at the movement. Arthur could only cringe and place his lips against her forehead.