Chapter Sixty-Nine: A Deadly Riddle

Arthur walked out of the bright white light onto a stone beach. To say Arthur was confused by what had just happened was an understatement. He had walked into the maze only to be transported into his future and pulled back into the past, seeing terrifying as well as overwhelmingly wonderful sights.

As he turned to look at his surroundings Arthur found himself staring at Anhora, immediately reminding him of why he had taken this journey. However, Arthur had to know one thing first.

"Inside the labyrinth I saw things. What were they?" Arthur asked with no greeting, he felt a greeting was not necessary. Anhora was not surprised by the question. It was clear he was always asked this by people he had sent into the Labyrinth.

"They were visions. Visions of the past" Anhora explained, "And visions of the future." Arthur was shocked at the revelation. It really was his past and future; it was so strange having confirmation. "What you saw of the past is real for it has already been whilst the visions of the future are what could be." Immediately the vision of Merlyn burning upon the pyre flashed into his mind - he was going to be forever scarred by that sight, and to know it could still happen! He was determined to stop that. "They are subject to change." There were certainly visions he wanted to change but then again there was visions he equally wanted to guarantee happened. "Your test awaits you."

Those words quickly brought Arthur out of his trance. Looking towards Anhora, Arthur found the elder looking passed him. Spinning around Arthur found a table and a particular servant that hadn't been there before. Arthur was more than shocked and worried to see Merlyn sitting at a small table that had one empty stool beside it and two goblets sitting on top.

"Merlyn?"

"Hi" Merlyn replied with a small wave of her hand. She couldn't really do anything else.

"Let her go. I'll take your test, but not till she's released" Arthur said turning to face Anhora. Arthur was annoyed that Merlyn was at the beach and he had to get her released, he was counting on her looking after Camelot, his father, his people in his place.

"That is not possible. Merlyn is part of the test" Anhora explained. Arthur frowned at his words before he looked towards Merlyn. How could she be part of the test? What did that entail? Both Merlyn and Anhora noticed Arthur's obvious hesitation. However, Anhora reminded Arthur of the bigger picture forcing him to take a seat. "Please sit. If you refuse the test, you will have failed and Camelot will be destroyed."

"Let's get on with it" Arthur said after he placed his sword on the table and sat opposite Merlyn. The table was no longer than the length of his sword. Anhora nodded his head in understanding. Arthur was secretly terrified of the words Anhora was about to say.

"There are two goblets before you. One of the goblets contains a deadly poison, the other goblet, a harmless liquid" Both Arthur and Merlyn looked at one another in complete horror before their eyes rested back on the two golden engraved goblets that sat between them. "All the liquid from both goblets must be drunk, but each of you may only drink from a single goblet."

"What kind of ridiculous test is that? What does that prove?" Arthur immediately argued. One of them was to die and Arthur had absolutely no idea how to guarantee it wouldn't be Merlyn.

"What it proves is for you to decide" Anhora replied cryptically. "If you pass the test, the curse will be lifted." That was all they wanted but on the other hand Arthur never thought that lifting the curse would involve dying.

Of course Merlyn began trying to figure out the riddle as he knew she would. Always the smart one. However Arthur knew the main part of the riddle just as Merlyn did but would not say.