Chapter Fifty-Nine: The True Legend of Merlyn and Arthur

The morning had come and everyone was up early and getting ready for the long day ahead. As usual Merlyn was helping Arthur get changed to which Morgana found amusing. The Lady was stood fastening her own arm metal guards on whilst Merlyn was helping Arthur with his jacket. Merlyn could feel Morgana's gaze on her.

"You still not learned how to dress yourself?" Morgana asked Arthur. The prince just smiled as his gaze flickered to Merlyn who was stood in front of him straightening his jacket.

"You don't have a dog and fetch the stick yourself. No offence, Merlyn" Arthur stated. Merlyn just rolled her eyes as she replied.

"None taken." She was used to the comments now, and she knew he really didn't mean any harm by them. Suddenly, Hunith moved towards Merlyn and Arthur holding one of the wooden bowls she owed.

"Prince Arthur, you didn't finish your breakfast" she said holding the bowl out to Arthur.

"Didn't I?" Arthur answered in fake surprise - Merlyn tried to hide her laughter. Merlyn knew Arthur had left the porridge on purpose - though she called it porridge lightly. The food was not very nice and tasted much worse than the luxuries Arthur was used to but it was food. And in Ealdor that was all that matter - taste was a second thought. Arthur took the bowl form Hunith with a smile. Arthur quietly groaned as he looked down at, what could only be described as, grey slop.

"Come on, eat up" Morgana challenged as she finished securing her arm guards. Arthur scowled at her as he picked up the spoon that lay in the bowl. He really didn't want to eat it. Suddenly, Arthur felt a jab in his side. His head snapped over to Merlyn who was staring at him pointedly.

"Eat it" she demanded. Arthur had never seen Merlyn look so serious before, well seriously strict. He could tell he would not be leaving the house till he had finished the food. "Food is scarce here; you shouldn't turn your nose up at it." Arthur could see he had offended Merlyn with his actions.

"You're right" Arthur mumbled before he quickly finished the bowl of porridge. Hunith had given up her own food to feed him which was a huge sacrifice for people around here. Once the bowl was empty he handed it to Merlyn wordlessly before he turned to Leon who was stood in his chainmail waiting for Arthur's instructions.

"Right. Let's get going. We need wood, and lots of it."

"Of course" Leon answered as he followed in Arthur's footsteps, Gwen and Morgana copying. Soon enough it was just Merlyn and Hunith in the little cottage clearing up the mess the others had left behind. Merlyn made her way over to the sink where she placed Arthur's bowl.

"Arthur said it was lovely" Merlyn said to her mother as she began collecting the other dishes and taking them over to be washed. Hunith only laughed lightly, she was not an idiot.

"Don't lie" Hunith scolded. Merlyn just laughed at her comment. Hunith turned around to face her daughter. She had changed so much since she had been in Ealdor. And the older woman had a sneaky suspicion that Arthur had a lot to do with the change. On the topic of Arthur, Hunith could see the connection between her daughter and the prince. On the one hand the connection was wonderful to see; on the other it was incredibly dangerous with Merlyn's powers and all. But Hunith had to know what Merlyn thought of Arthur - or at least what she would claim to think. "He must care for you a great deal." Hunith watched her daughter carefully as her comment settled in.

"Arthur'd do the same for any village. That's just the way he is" Merlyn replied with a subtle smile - it was one of things that made Arthur amazing. Merlyn continued to tidy up the area that her and Arthur had slept on whilst Hunith frowned at her words.

"It's more than that" Hunith replied with an edge of disappointment in her voice making Merlyn look up. "He's here for you." Whilst Merlyn wanted to believe that she couldn't allow herself to. It was too dangerous.