Chapter Sixty-Seven: Camelot Is Doomed

All of the remaining grain supplies had rotted. Every single last grain.

Camelot was going to starve to death. Arthur had failed the test and the unicorn's curse had taken a turn for the worst. Everyone was panicking, worried and overall scared. Merlyn was terrified and extremely worried. Arthur hadn't spoken to her since the encounter with Anhora in the woods. Hell, he hadn't even explained that to her. He just said he had "failed" which didn't sound good but that was all Merlyn could get Arthur to say. Then today a new horror occurred when all of the remaining grain in the store rotted away. Merlyn knew he would be blaming himself immensely and she had to find him, she had to help him ... even though she had absolutely no idea on how to do such a thing.

As she was searching the castle she came across Leon walking through the corridors. Quickly Merlyn caught up with the man.

"Leon!" she called. Leon stopped and turned around to face the servant. As they looked at one another, they could see the affect of the lack of water was starting to have on each other. "Please tell me you've seen Arthur." Leon sighed. He could be of no help.

"No, I'm sorry" Leon replied.

"Damn it" Merlyn sighed as she looked around her, down the corridors, trying to find any sign of the prince. Leon, however, fidgeted on the spot. He wanted to ask Merlyn because he knew she would know but Leon also feared the truth.

"Merlyn ... is it true?" Leon finally asked. Merlyn stopped scanning the castle to look back at Leon. Unfortunately, Merlyn didn't know what part Leon was referring to.

"Is what true?"

"There's a rumour milling around that Arthur's caused this curse when he killed the unicorn" Leon said uncertainly. Merlyn could only sigh before nodding.

"I think so" she admitted softly.

"I know Arthur's stubborn and pig-headed and annoying, but he cares about his people. More than he cares about himself" Leon argued. Leon grew up with Arthur, he knew what Arthur was like but he wouldn't have it said that Arthur didn't care about his people. And Leon had also noticed Merlyn's behaviour onwards Arthur of late, the knight felt like he had to remind her of the prince's good points. "He will not forgive himself for making his people suffer."

"I know that" Merlyn said, she knew Arthur, who he was. But maybe she had been harsh of him of late and truth be told she wasn't entirely sure why she was being so harsh, she just felt this need to. "And with the mood he's in, I don't know what he's gonna to do. I have to find him."

"The battlements, he does like to go there to think" Leon reminded the young witch, who felt incredibly stupid for not thinking of the battlements already. Quickly, the servant picked up her skirt and began running off giving the knight a shout back.

"Of course, thank you Leon."

~8~

Everything was a disaster and Arthur knew it was his fault but he had no idea what to do about it. And the situation had gotten worse with Uther's new decree. With there being no more grain coming in, Uther had decided to stop distributing food to the people, he was adamant the food had to be conserved for the army which meant that the people were being left to starve.

Uther valued the kingdom's defence more than his subjects' lives. Arthur had argued that they could ask the neighbouring kingdoms for help but of course Uther refused to even think about the idea. He truly believed that Camelot's enemies would attack once they saw how weak Camelot was, Arthur though couldn't understand it at all, he didn't understand how Uther was more bothered about his pride whilst his people were going hungry. In the end Arthur had refused to give the order to stop distributing food to the people forcing Uther to do it himself.