Chapter Fifty-One: The Black Knight

Still can't believe this book has over 76k reads and 2k votes, thank you all very much.

So here is Excalibur. Enjoy!

******

What do you get a prince who has everything he could want? That was Merlyn's conundrum. He had weapons and clothing and jewels and everything so Merlyn had found the task of getting the prince a gift virtually impossible. However, it hit Merlyn that buying him something was pointless but making something for him was perhaps better.

Merlyn had been working on it for some time. And why did Merlyn need a gift for Arthur? It was because Arthur was finally coming-of-age; it was his birthday and he was going to be Crowned Prince of Camelot! It had been a long awaited event by the kingdom, ever since Arthur had been born. As crowned prince he would be named heir to the throne officially. To say this was momentous would be an understatement. And Arthur was clearly nervous.

Merlyn was getting the prince ready as she always had to but today he was quiet and fidgety. Merlyn couldn't help but smile at his nervous actions. Arthur cared deeply about his kingdom, about his rule and it was clear to see.

"You washed these clothes?" Arthur asked as he fiddled on with his sleeve.

"Of course I did, I'm not an idiot" Merlyn replied whilst she smoothed out his tunic. Arthur nodded at her answer. Now Merlyn really knew he was nervous normally he would call her an idiot. Looking up into Arthur's eyes she noticed that the prince's eyes were twitching from side to side as if he was trying to remember something. Reaching up Merlyn cupped Arthur's cheek. At the touch Arthur blinked in shock and noticed Merlyn staring right at him. "Relax; everything's going to be fine." Removing her hand Merlyn turned around to grab his pressed cloak. "You will kneel at the front of the room, at your father's feet, you will answer "I do Sire" to his questions." The cloak billowed out as Merlyn drew it around Arthur's shoulders, grasping the clasp tightly so it did not slip. "He will finally ask you if you swear your allegiance to Camelot and that is when you will say 'I, Arthur Pendragon, do pledge life and limb to your service and to the protection of the kingdom and its peoples'." Merlyn fastened the cloak together before she began arranging the garment on his shoulders carefully. "He will say a few more words, place a crown on your head, you stand, it's done, we clap." Merlyn finished brushing down the cloak and placing her hands on his shoulders whilst she smiled up at him. "You know the words, Arthur."

Arthur was shocked to say the least. Merlyn knew the ceremony, even knew the words he had to say perfectly. She had bothered to listen him go on about, researched the ceremony. Most importantly, Merlyn calmed him down. It was a simply ceremony that held so much weight. Before he was heir apparent, he was the natural heir to the throne - people expected him to take over from his father but he had no legal obligation, this ceremony changed that. And it was clear that Merlyn saw the significance as she stood before Arthur in the green dress Morgana had given her some time ago. The simple dress was still outstanding on Merlyn. But it was a dress - Merlyn hated dresses. Arthur felt himself relaxing by just looking down at Merlyn's smiling face.

Suddenly, Merlyn's eyes widened as if she remembered something. And before he could ask what was wrong, Merlyn had turned around and ran to his table where she had placed some items when she had first came in that morning. Arthur was confused as the servant glided across his chambers and collected a small box. Arthur continued to watch as Merlyn made her way back over to him clearly nervous this time. What did she have to be nervous about?

"Here" she said as she handed the small box over to him. Arthur carefully took the box off his servant. It was nothing fancy, had no wrapping or ribbon; it was just a plain brown box. Carefully, the prince opened the box whilst Merlyn stood in front of him biting her lip and shuffling nervously with her hands. She wasn't exactly sure how he was going to take it. "It may not be perfect; my metalwork skills are nowhere near perfection."