Chapter Twenty: To Save A Prince

Arthur was inside the Great Hall that was decked out for the celebratory banquet. He wasn't going to lie he was eager to see Merlyn in the getup he had gotten her – he couldn't help teasing her but now he was curious as well, he wanted to know what she had planned. He was currently sat in his seat at the front of the banquet hall beside his father's chair; in the middle of the tables was a huge podium that stood with the treaty front and centre waiting to be signed by the two kings. Arthur was to meditate the signing once the two kings were present.

As Arthur waited he drank from his goblet, the only thing he could do. Once again his goblet was empty, lifting his hand he gestured towards the servants without looking. Merlyn wasn't beside him yet so he had to have a random servant serve him. Sighing, his eyes drifted over to the right where a servant stood and began pouring his wine. A flash of red caught his eyes. Looking up Arthur's jaw dropped. The servant serving him was Merlyn. He moved backwards in his seat and looked Merlyn up and down. He couldn't believe it. Merlyn was stood wearing a white skirt with a red overlay that hit the floor and a red top obviously made from the tunic, the crest was sat on the bodice style top, the feathers from the hat he gave her were woven into her hair. The dress was true to the Pendragon colours of red and gold. Had it been made of decent material, a lady could have worn it.

"You are supposed to be wearing the clothes I gave you" Arthur commented narrowing his eyes at her.

"I am, you said I could make alterations so I did" Merlyn replied brightly as she finished filling Arthur's cup. Arthur smiled at his servant - she was a bloody smart ass at times. He could only laugh as she curtseyed and made her way back to her position beside him. Arthur had to admit that she was pretty in the getup.

Eventually, Lord Bayard made his way into the Great Hall ready to sign the treaty with Uther. The two men giving one another respectful nods before turning towards the podium. Arthur took it as his cue to move towards the podium to watch as they signed. Grabbing the quill Uther signed both copies of the treaty before Bayard. Once the signing was over Uther and Bayard clasped each other's arms once again. Everyone applauded the act before returning to their seats.

Swiftly, enough the celebrations began. Uther sat down beside Arthur and watched as Bayard made his way to the middle of the large room. At the sight of Bayard getting ready to address the room, Arthur visibly slumped into his chair - here came the boring speeches.

"People of Camelot, for a great many years we have been mortal enemies, and the blood of our men stains the ground from the walls of Camelot to the gates of Mercia. And though we remember those who have died, we must not allow any more to join them" Bayard said, grabbing the attention of the whole room. As he spoke a young female servant walked out towards Bayard carrying a large intricately decorated box in her hands.

"As a symbol of our goodwill, and of our newfound friendship, I present these ceremonial goblets to you, Uther, and to your son, Arthur, in the hope that our friendship may last" Bayard said holding two beautiful, silver chalices up for all to see. Suddenly, Merlyn felt a hand clasp around her arm. Merlyn's head shot to her left to find herself staring into the beautiful, deceiving face of Cara.

"Merlyn, I need to speak to you" Cara whispered harshly, panic in her eyes and voice - though Merlyn questioned whether either was actually accurate.

"What is it?" Merlyn asked, keeping her eyes on Bayard as he continued his ridiculously long speech to Uther and his people.

"Not here, please. I don't know who else to tell" Cara pressed. Merlyn sighed as she looked at the young servant. Merlyn knew that she shouldn't trust this woman but she guessed that she had to listen to what she had to say. Nodding, Merlyn handed another servant her jug and made her way out of the back entrance to the Great Hall, Cara on her heels. Bayard's voice grew quieter and quieter as them made their way into an abandoned corridor.