Assignments

3rd person Jason POV

November 5

"Look, Pipes, I have to go!"

"C'mon, Jason! Can't you just skip?" Piper asked, pouting.

"It's a club meeting and I have to attend." Jason stood up from the table. He had just finished dinner and the meeting of the Nico Protection Squad was starting in ten minutes.

"What club is it even?" Piper asked.

"Um. Service Club. We do community service." Jason lied. He hated lying to Piper, but the Nico Protection Squad was top secret.

"Fine. Go! Don't be late!" Piper urged. Jason stood up and rushed out of the dining hall, Frank and Hazel following behind him.

They walked to the Room of Requirement and snuck in.

Everyone was already there, sitting in beanbag chairs.

"You're late, Hazel." Nico glared.

"I know, I know, I'm sorry. I know I'm supposed to run the meeting today but I lost track of time."

Jason sat down in his usual beanbag chair and watched as Frank sat down tentatively in his. Nico was shooting Frank a death glare.

"Welcome everyone to today's meeting of the Nico Protection Squad." Hazel announced.

"I object to the name!" Nico raised his hand.

"Objection ignored!" Reyna pushed Nico playfully. "Continue Hazel."

"Let's recap everything we know. The killer seems to be targeting LGBTQ students. The killer's main weapon is a knife, type unknown. We have no suspects as to who the killer is. Will, you were supposed to make a list of known LGBTQ students?" Hazel turned to Will.

"Here you go." Will handed a piece of paper and Hazel pinned it to her board.

"There is a transgender and gender fluid student named Alex Fierro who is in a relationship with a pansexual student named Magnus Chase-" Hazel stopped talking. "Any relation to your girlfriend, Percy?"

"Uh, I think that's her cousin." Percy shrugged.

"Okay. Continuing the list. Lester Papadopoulos is still in danger. We have a school club started by Artemis Hunter called the Hunters of Artemis. The majority of the members are asexual girls. The rules of the club are that you have to be a girl and you can't date anyone, hence the large amount of asexual girls that are part of it. Nico di Angelo is gay, as we all know, and Will Solace is also gay." Hazel looked at the list. "Is that all, Will?"

"That's all I could find out. We don't have many out students here." Will shrugged.

"That's okay. We need to make sure nothing happens to these students. I am going to assign one person to each student so you can watch over them. Become friends. Make sure nothing bad happens to them." Hazel glanced at the list again. "Percy, I'm going to assign you to Alex Fierro and Magnus Chase. Annabeth is your girlfriend and Magnus is her cousin."

"Don't you think that could be weird?" Percy asked. "I think for that to work, we're going to need to let Annabeth in on this."

"Raise your hand if you are okay with letting Annabeth in on our operation." Hazel, Percy, Frank, Will, and Reyna all raised their hands.

"Annabeth is approved. Next meeting, aka tomorrow, bring Annabeth, okay Percy?"

Percy nodded.

"Okay. Percy and Annabeth will be assigned Alex Fierro and Magnus Chase. Oh, wait. I wanted to assign Percy to Lester Papadoupolous. Oh, well. Will and Nico, you guys get Lester Papadoupolous. Reyna, you join the Hunters of Artemis-"

"What?!" Reyna exclaimed.

"You're the only single girl! You're the obvious choice!"

"Fine. But, I can drop out when we catch the killer, right?" Reyna asked.

"Yeah." Hazel continued. "I get Nico and Jason gets Will."

"What about me?" Frank asked.

"Um. You can go with Percy and Annabeth." Hazel decided.

"Okay." Frank smiled.

"One more thing we need to address before we leave. We have no suspects as to who the killer is." Hazel pointed at her board.

"Octavian." Nico shrugged. "He's a total homophobe, and he's probably psychopathic. Back when we were roommates, every night he would stab a teddy bear to death. It makes sense." 

"Okay. Octavian is our number one suspect. Anyone else?" 

Nobody suggested anyone.

"Meeting adjourned." Hazel flipped the chalkboard back over, signaling the end of the meeting.

Jason stood up from his beanbag chair. 

"Hazel, why were you and Frank late to the meeting today?" Nico hissed.

"I told you. We lost track of time." Hazel insisted.

"What were you doing that caused you to lose track of time?" 

"Talking."

"That's it?"

"Yes!"

"Okay, Hazel. I trust you."

Jason left the room before he could eavesdrop further.