Hazel Falls

3rd Person Hazel PoV

Hazel had been lying. She didn't want Nico to worry about her so she told him she had made friends. Since they weren't in the same house, Nico didn't see her that much. He didn't know that whenever he talked to her she made up all the friends she told him about. Alice, Stacey, and Martha weren't real. Whenever he saw her, she pretended to be talking to a group of girls or reading her book. 

Hazel didn't actually have any friends. The other girls were nice to her, but she didn't hang out with them much. Nobody really liked Hazel. She was weird. After all, she was basically a human metal detector.

She hadn't been lying for that long, though. She'd actually had several friends during her first year. It was at the end of the second year when the curse kicked in.

Sometimes she was lonely, but it didn't bother her that much. The only problem was lying to Nico about them. It had started out with her not wanting him to get worried about her social skills and then the lie just turned into an uncontrollable monster she couldn't stop. All summer she pretended to write and receive letters from her "friends". Nico had even bought her an owl! She couldn't tell him the truth now. It was too late.

Hazel was about to board the train when she tripped on something. It was some red-haired girl's foot.

She fell to the ground and one of her suitcases spilled open. Everyone funneled around her to board the train. Hazel got up and scrambled to collect all of her things. A pencil rolled toward the train tracks. Hazel didn't bother trying to reach it.

"Do you need any help?" A boy looked down at her. He was tall and muscular. He had black hair that was cut in a long buzz cut. His dark eyes were narrow but kind. He held out the pencil.

"Thanks." Hazel blushed and took the pencil tentatively.

"I'm Frank Zhang." Frank handed her a few of her books.

"I'm Hazel Levesque." Hazel turned her head slightly in an attempt to hide her blush.

"Do you have anyone you're already sitting with on the train?" Frank asked. He handed her the last of her things.

"Why would you think I wouldn't?" Hazel zipped her bag closed and stood up.

"No reason." Frank backtracked. " I wasn't-"

Hazel laughed. "No, I don't."

"My friends Jason and Reyna are saving me a spot on the train. Do you want to sit with us?" Frank picked up her bag for her.

"Okay." Hazel hoped her dark skin hid the blush that she couldn't seem to get rid of. Frank walked down the hallway on the train until she saw a blond boy whose hair was also in a long buzz cut and a girl with long braided brown hair wave at Frank. Jason's arm was around the girl so Hazel assumed they were dating. Frank opened the compartment door.

"Hey, guys! This is Hazel. Do you mind if she sits with us?" Frank asked the couple. 

Jason and Reyna looked at each other, then Reyna said, "I don't see why not!" Hazel sat down across from Jason and Reyna and next to Frank.

"You look familiar," Jason said. "Are you in Gryffindor?" Jason looked at her as if he were trying to stare right into her soul.

"Yeah," Hazel responded. "I'm in my third year."

"That's why I haven't seen you before!" Reyna piped in. "We're sixth years and I don't tend to pay much attention to anyone besides these two."

"I don't really stand out that much anyway," Hazel added.

"Potions," Frank mumbled.

"What was that, Frank?" Jason asked.

"That's why your name sounded familiar. Did you accidentally fill the entire dungeon with gold almost smothering everyone in Potions?" Frank asked. 

Hazel looked at the ground. "Not my brightest moment. And it wasn't gold. It was pyrite." Hazel sighed. That was around the time she lost her friends. She had more on her plate then.

"It's alright," Reyna said. Last year I broke one of Mr. D's 'expensive' cauldrons." She made air quotes when she said expensive. "I swear, he almost broke me!" They sat there swapping embarrassing potions stories for almost an hour. For the first time in a while, Hazel felt like she had friends again.