Chats with Sunshine and Darkness

3rd person Frank POV

November 3

Frank had been nervous to ask Hazel out, especially because of the age difference. And her brother. Nico was scary as hell when he wanted to be.

"Hey Frank!" Will said, walking up to Frank. "What's up? You seem down."

"I have a question." Frank sat down on a nearby bench and Will followed.

"Shoot." Will responded.

"I like this girl, and I'm pretty sure she likes me. But she's three years younger than me. And that would probably be weird."

"Ah. You want to ask out Hazel."

"How did you know?" Frank responded.

"Every time you look at each other, hearts practically shoot out of your eyes."

"Uh, huh." 

"Hmm. She seems a little immature don't you think? I mean, that girl cries like a rain storm." Will set his backpack on the ground in front of him.

"She's actually really mature for her age, she's just sensitive, especially when it comes to Nico."

"Okay." Will sat in silence for a few seconds. "It kind of depends on your intentions." 

"You mean, like..." Frank cut off his sentence.

"Yeah." Will responded. "She's still a kid. I don't know you that well but you seem like a pretty good guy. I would wait a while before even considering that. But it will be less awkward the older you get. When's her birthday?"

"December," Frank responded.

"And when's your birthday?"

"June. I'm sixteen right now."

"Okay. It's fine to ask her out now, just before you consider going further than holding hands and a kiss wait until she's older. At least fifteen." Will started to stand up. "But you would also want to look into the legal age of consent if you two start considering that." Will grabbed his bag. "You may also want to talk to Nico before asking her out. He's pretty protective of her." Will walked on to his next class. 

Later that day

Frank glanced around the hallway, looking for Nico. Classes had been dismissed for the day and they had about ten minutes until dinner started. Frank finally noticed Nico sitting under a tree in the courtyard.

"Nico." Frank walked up to Nico. 

Nico's didn't even glance up. He just replied, "Look. If you're here for my telescope it's right there." Nico gestured to a telescope that was sitting next to him." 

Frank looked at Nico, confused. "Nico, it's me, Frank." Nico looked up.

"Oh. Sorry about that. What's up." Nico closed his book and Frank sat down.

"Um. I-uh." Frank wasn't sure if this actually was the best idea. "I want to ask out Hazel." Frank blurted out. Nico's expression turned stern.

"You're how old, Frank?" Nico asked.

"Sixteen."

"And she's?"

"Thirteen." Frank was getting worried.

"Do you see my problem?" Nico was still glaring at Frank.

"I know about the age difference but trust me, I would never do anything to hurt Hazel." 

"Look, I'm sure you're a great guy, but I don't want Hazel getting hurt unintentionally. She's a kid. And she's already been through a lot." Nico sighed.

"Yeah. I know. I was there when we found her." Frank responded, remembering Hazel's breakdown about Bianca.

"It's not just that. There's a long story that I don't want to go into right now." Nico responded. "I guess I can't really stop you from asking her out, but I don't think it's all a good idea. In fact, I do not want you asking her out. If you do ask her out, though, I promise you. If you ever hurt her I will track you down and make your life a living hell. Do you understand me?" Nico asked. His dark eyes glinted. 

"Yes." Frank responded timidly.

"Good." Nico stood up. "I'm going to dinner." Nico walked off and left Frank in the grass.