Le Gay Talk

3rd person Hazel POV

"Hazel!" Nico runs after her.

"Nico, I don't want to talk to you." Hazel kept walking. Nico grabbed her wrist and spun her around.

"Hazel. We need to talk about this." 

"Nico. You already know I accept your choice but I really didn't need to see that." Hazel gagged.

"Yes. You did Hazel. You are going to encounter plenty of gay people in your life. Not just me, not just Will. You need to get over your slight homophobia." 

"I'm not homophobic!" Hazel insisted.

"Then why did you gag?" 

"Because I saw my brother kissing somebody!"

"You never gagged when Bianca kissed her old boyfriend."

"That was different!"

"How?"

"Also, Hazel. This might not be the best time to tell you, but Bianca admitted something to me not too long before she died."

"What-what did Bianca say?"

Nico realized he had hit a sore subject. But he had to continue talking now.

"Bianca told me that she was gay. That's why she broke up with her boyfriend."

Hazel's resolve collapsed. 

"Why-why did she not tell me?"

"Because, Hazey. Hades and Persephone ave drilled it into you for years now. They've told you that being gay is wrong and I'm going to hell for it, haven't they?"

"Yeah." Hazel sat down on a nearby bench.

"The thing is, why would a god, any god, create something that they want to torture for eternity. Earlier you said that you accept my choice. It's not a choice, Hazel. I was born this way. I'm going to stay this way. Why would a god create gay people if he was going to make them suffer for eternity? That doesn't seem like a very loving god to me. Hazel, you need to not just accept that I am gay. You need to accept me for who I am. You are homophobic, Hazel. But just because that's how our parents taught you to be."

Hazel had tears in her eyes. She looked down at her hands.

"I'm sorry Nico. I love you. I love every aspect of you." Hazel leaned forward and hugged Nico.

"Nico!" Nico heard Will calling for him.

"Come on Hazel." Nico and Hazel walked back to Nico's room.

"Guys. Don't tell anyone what you know, okay?" Nico asked.

"Why? You guys are adorable!" Reyna practically squealed.

"Just, don't okay?" Will asked.

"Fine." Jason huffed.

"If you insist." Reyna scowled.

"Okay," Hazel responded meekly.

"Hazel. Don't even tell Frank." Nico glared.

"Fine." Hazel crossed her arms.

"Hey, guys! What're you doing down here?" Frank called from the end of the hallway.

Nico walked out of the little circle they had formed.

"Discussing plans to hunt down Bianca's killer." Nico lied easily.

"You want to join?" Reyna asked.

"Uh. Sure." Frank noticed Hazel standing with them. "Of course."