XXXVI: City of Bones

The next day Hector and Dominique got up a little early, and headed off to the City of Bones. 

Hector: You ready for this? 

Dominique: Yeah. 

Hector: You nervous? 

Dominique: Terrified. 

Hector: I got you. 

Dominique and Hector were in the main room in the of the Institute, Judith opened a portal, and the golden tear was right there ready to suck the two friends in. Dominique took a deep breath, and Hector takes her hand for reassurance before they entered the portal. When they did, in a split second they were standing right there in front of a Silent Brother. 

Silent Brother: Who are you? 

Hector: We need to see a friend of ours, it will only be a minute. 

Dominique: Who is that? 

Hector: He's a Silent Brother, the people who provide answers for us and try to heal wounded Shadowhunters. 

Silent Brother: My name is Brother Matthew, who is it that you need to see? 

Using all her courage, Dominique stepped up to face Brother Matthew and looked at him straight in the eye. 

Dominique: His name is Mael Devereaux. 

Brother Matthew: Follow me. 

Dominique and Hector followed Brother Matthew to a huge hallway filled with locked up prisoners begging to let them out. 

Brother Matthew: Don't listen to them, they are punished, they deserve to be here. 

They pressed on, and Dominique was starting to question if this was a prison or an asylum. Her questioning had stopped when Dominique's eyes were staring at her best friend, Mael. 

Dominique: Mael! 

Mael had looked up, and saw her but he was mostly looking at Hector. 

Mael: You...

Dominique: Mael, it's me Dominique. Don't you remember me? 

Mael: Your friends with him, aren't you? 

Dominique: Yes, but that doesn't matter. 

Mael: Just who are you, and how do you know my name? 

Dominique: I....

Dominique didn't want to believe it, but she had to. She had to believe that Hector was right, that he didn't remember who she was or anything he had in the past. 

Dominique: Mael, it's me! Your best friend from first grade! 

Mael: I don't know who you are. 

Dominique: Your memories must've been erased by Kiana, but I can help you if you just-

Mael: GET AWAY FROM ME! 

Dominique tried to reach out to her best friend, but it wasn't working not one bit. 

Dominique: Mael, please, I need my best-

Mael: Look I don't know who you are, or what is your problem but whatever comes my way I never want to see you again! 

Dominique was about to cry, but she wasn't leaving without one final question. 

Dominique: Just one more question....

Mael gave her a piercing look, but Dominique had cut him off. 

Dominique: Where is Kiana? 

Mael: Why should I tell you? 

Dominique: I know your in there, Mael, why else would I ask you that question? You've always been the one to question before answering anything, especially when it came to something conspicuous or suspicious. That's all I have, let's get out of here. 

Brother Matthew lead Hector and Dominique out of the cell, and out of Mael's sight. When Dominique and Hector came back to the Institute, Dominique was completely numb and she didn't know what or how to feel. Hector thought that it was best to leave her alone for she needed some space, or enough time to get everything straight.