Chapter 4

Dr.Wells sat in her leather, rolly chair and set the scans on the counter. My eyes couldn't stop staring at the envelope holding every secret, my eyes couldn't stop producing tears. My mother wrung her hands as I sat stone cold on the table. 

   She rolled her chair closer to us and sat as straight as she could before speaking "We-when we saw these scans this isn't what we were expecting okay? I'm not saying anything straight out. Yes, this isn't what a doctor wants to see but we just have to remember that they could be worse. Okay?" 

   "Can I see them, please?" Dr. Wells nodded once before standing up and turning the lights off and putting the image up to the light. 

   My brain was colorful with blue, red, yellow and orange. My eyes can't focus on one thing until Dr. Wells brings her pen up to one thing in particular. It's darker. A darker blue but it is obviously not supposed to be there. It's larger. My hands clam up and my body turns to rock. 

   My mom gets up and walks to me. She tries to grab my hand but I can't feel my hands "So it-that thing is killing me," My mother tightens her grip but I show no response. 

   My comment wasn't a question and everyone in that room knew it. 

   Dr. Wells sets the scan down and proceeds to turn on the lights again "There are more treatment plans that we can proceed with, and this is the first time in years that it has had any progression. It could get smaller with treatment." 

   "But it got bigger. It could continue to get bigger, Dr. Wells. We all know that and we are all avoiding the truth! It's killing me and no one will admit to it!" My mother croaks and grabs my face while the doctor stays put and eyes me carefully. 

    My mother carefully whispers "Quinn, you need to calm down. Yelling at her is not going to help you or any of us." 

   "Yes," Dr. Wells says "malignant cancer is not a nice thing. Yours, unfortunately, is not benign so yes, Quinn, it is killing you but with treatment, it can grow smaller but it will not if you allow yourself to think the way you do. Either, you fight it or you can let overrule your body. It has the ability to get smaller if you allow it."  

    I look back at my mother and then at the brain scan on the counter. The dark blue mass still engraved in my mind. 

   It's killing me