Unaccountable Evidences & Unknown Living Proofs

Chapter 28: Unaccountable Evidences & Unknown Living Proofs

I was happy that everything has already ended, but there was something inside me that’s telling me it hasn’t. Like a blank grade in a report card. Like missing puzzle piece. Like a ... forgotten memory.

Thursday, 7:00 AM

I stripped off my pajamas, letting it drop on the floor. I stepped out of it and looked at myself in the whole body mirror. My stitches were done clean, but stitches are stitches and however clean they’re done; they’d still be disgusting to me. I ran my fingers over it and appreciated how fast I could heal. It still hurts but it’s totally tolerable. The nurse this morning said not everyone could walk around after getting stabbed. I looked at it intently, slowly bringing my eyebrows in union as I noticed a pink healed gash just beneath my stitched up stab wound.

The other scar was smaller. And it looked like it has already healed months ago. I tried to remember when and where I got it from but I know I’ve never had cuts in there. I stepped closer towards the mirror, not taking my eyes off the little scar as my vision blurred and my brain palpitated like it was being hammered by a mallet… or something bigger.

Suddenly, a scene came before my eyes. It’s not a vision but surely not a memory. It was in forest. And I was running. I was crying. And my heart stopped at the thought of a male voice telling me to run. I opened my eyes and the pain went away with the weird foreboding… whatever that is.

I decided wash over the ill thoughts by staying five minutes more than usual in the shower. I dried myself and slipped on a comfortable sundress that mom has prepared. I went out of the bathroom, barefoot and feeling the cold seep in from the white tiles to my feet. I looked for my fluffy bunny slippers.

“If you’re looking for your fluffies, I had them thrown away. They had Clarkes blood splattered all over them.” Mom said. “I’m sorry; I know you hate walking barefoot.” She added.

“Nah, it’s okay. These tiles are a lot less cold than marble anyway.” I said as I walked across the room to open the curtains for the warm sunlight to get in.

“When were you walking barefoot on a marbled floor?” Mom asked suspiciously. My room is carpeted, as well as hers. Our house is tiled and our porch is wooden. The church is marbled; but I’ve never tried walking barefoot in it.

“I have no idea why I said that.” The warm light against my skin, was a feeling that's suddenly alien to me. I know I’ve always been out in the sun these days but I somehow recall the feeling of frosty winds, cold floors and chilly nights. I wonder if these are just psychological effects of the distress that I’ve been struggling from but I doubt it. This feeling seemed real.

Bryce stirs behind me, his stimuli activating from the bright sunlight. He covers his head with a pillow but it was no use, he’s already awake and unable to go back to sleep. He sits up and rubs his eyes. His messy honey colored hair was a mess just like his crumpled jacket and dry early morning skin. He decided to go home and freshen up as mom tossed him her car keys so he won’t be using his super cool motorcycle that mom says is dangerous. I was amazed at how close they actually were as mom is already lending him her car which she won’t even let me drive. Bryce took the keys and waved goodbye to both of us.

The next hour was spent with mom and I talking about her relationship with Officer slash Detective De Mente and I was just happy that she is. Later that morning, Pewee and his group of nerds came to bring me flowers. Raven and her boyfriend dropped by to visit as mom eyed me suspiciously for being too friendly with dangerous looking youths- that’s what she calls them. Mr. Pollok dropped by to bring me his very own homemade Paplova and it tasted absolutely unlike him; sweet. Tyler came to visit as well having seen the news on TV. Kathy also came running to check me out with the same reason as Tyler. Mrs. Novogorod also came with Martin but they didn’t stay long after her short chat with mom about mahjong being their new favorite sport.