The murder List

Chapter 8: The murder List

“When your girl friends are dead, you will always be the dead girls’ friend.”

Tuesday, 12:00 NN

The next day, Tyler wasn’t still not in the mood to talk to me. Sometimes he smiles, sometimes he waves, sometimes he releases simple recognition words like ‘ey’ and ‘yo’. They’re not even exactly words but I can say he’s starting to move on.

 “Were you and Kendra seeing each other before she died?” I asked out of the blue as we walked out of the classroom door for lunch.

“If your ‘seeing’ meant ‘dating’, the answer is no. But if it means just ‘seeing’ then yes.” Reece answered.

“What exactly is your relationship with Kendra?”

“I, to her, there’s nothing. But she to me, boy she had a huge crush on me.” He answered, making my brow shoot up an inch from its usual location. “It’s true. She told me before the homecoming game started, but I told her off.” He added noticing my reaction.

“What exactly did you tell her?”

“I told her I like somebody else; which is you.” It brought a burning sensation on my cheeks but I’m not mixing business with pleasure. I have to continue.

“Did you tell her it was me?”

“Yeah. She’s pretty furious about it.”

“About what?”

“About me, liking the bitchy ‘little miss perfect’ instead of her. Her words, not mine.” He answered. I knew Kendra was capable of saying that so I’m taking no offense. It’s kind of a compliment to me though.

“Did you talk to her after the game?” I asked.

“If you mean the entire night after the game, it’s a; no. But a day after the game and during the ball; yes.” He answered. This is it.

“When exactly did you have a chance to talk during the ball?”

“I bumped into her and Stacy outside the ladies room. She looked sick. Then she said she wanted to talk to me outside so she can breathe. She dragged me to the forest and…”

“And what?” I spat impatiently.

“She threatened me of hurting you if don’t make out with her.” He answered.

“What?” It was almost a whisper. I couldn’t believe Kendra would even dare to think that but then I remembered Kendra’s words.

“So it really is her, huh? You know what I can do to her Reece. I can bring her down anytime I want… Kiss me. Kiss me and I’ll never get them to touch her.”

“Stacy was with her from the ladies room?” I asked, remembering what Stacy saying that she already checked the ladies room finding no sign of Kendra.

“No, she was just drinking a glass of champagne with Kendra.” He said.

This kept my mouth shut as we climbed the narrow fire exit stairs towards the rooftop. Another suspect; Stacy Danes.

I spent my lunch at there with Reece feeding me with a box of cupcakes and chilled coffee in can.

“Does this have poison?” I joked but deep inside I was dead serious. Having Nicole Harper, Barbara Bay and Kendra Hope’s poisoned murder case in mind, nothing’s worth the risk. Scratch Barbara’s name out because hers was just attempted poisoning and she was stabbed to death instead. He smiled and shook his head hopelessly as he tasted one and handed it to me.