The Human

Chapter 1: The Human

Detroit, Michigan United States

Sunday, 4:30 PM

“Camera on three”

Pressure was in the air as the long awaited homecoming ball was about to start. I breathed heavily as my staff ran through the hallway carrying disco balls, twigs and silver glittering Styrofoam alphabets for the final touches.

“One…two…three”

Alejandro clicked on the camera in my cue, making it Stacy’s cue to speak up. “This is again the time of the year that we have all been waiting for. Tonight will be the night of our long awaited, annual homecoming ball. With the theme: Masks, Moonlight and Magic, who among our nominees will reign as your Homecoming King and Queen? Will it be the hot quarterback or the cool center A hockey player? Will it be our beloved Student Council President or the sizzling head cheerleader? The fate of your Homecoming Royalties lies in your fingertips.”

“And…cut.” I gave Stacy and satisfied smile as she threw herself to me.

“I pulled it off!” She squealed as she fluffed her black velvet gown and flipped her straight fake blonde locks.

“I know you would. That’s why I chose you.” I replied. But in the back of my head, I was still hoping that my friend and usual reporter Avery would eventually pop out from the hospital. Oh, why did she have to suffer food poisoning at this time of the year? Now I’m left to deal with a beginner.

“Thank you Lucy. You don’t know how much this means to me.” Stacy held my hands excitedly.

“Call me ‘Lucy’ one more time and I’ll put you back on editorial cartooning.” I faked a straight face as she got wind of the possibilities of my threat.

“Therese.” She cleared herself, releasing a slightly nervous giggle.

I didn’t want people to call me ‘Lucy’. I don’t know but it sounds too immature and dependent for my personality. I prefer ‘Therese’ or ‘Ms. Connors’. They sound… appropriate.

“Working overtime, Ms. Connors?” A familiar coarse male voice interrupted my reruns with Stacy’s video clips.

“Everybody’s all poshed up. Are you planning to wear tattered jeans and converse for the Homecoming ball?” The voice continued as I found it hard to ignore him. I turned back.

“Wow Jones! You look good too.” I spat sarcastically as Principal Mayer left me with a hopeless nod in contrast with his beaming excited smile. It’s nice being in first name basis with your school principal.

Realizing the truth on what he said, I looked at my reflection in the glass window. I only have less than two hours to prepare, but I can’t leave my staff without everything getting settled down.

I clapped my hands three times to get their attention. “Okay back to work you guys.”

They nodded.

“Good. Camera on three. One…two…”

“I think we can h…handle th…this Ms. C…Connors.” Alejandro spoke up as I was cut off. He rarely speaks so this might be something important.

“Y..you need t..to dress up and get ready before the ball s..starts. I..I mean, we need y..you at the actual opening m..moment but y..you cannot get in with …. that.” He hesitatingly ended his stuttered speech as he looked at me in my plain white camisole. He looked scared.

I know. I get it. No one wants to piss me off because I know all of the secrets that have been lurking around this school for nearly three years. Maybe that’s one of the perks of being a member of the media club.