Absence of Leverage

Chapter 23: Absence of Leverage

“…he’ll never forgive you … And ‘never’ for Soul-Suckers like us is a very… very long time.”

10:20 PM

We reached a small tent not so far away from the camp of the Dreamscape nomads and my Amazon kidnapper gestured for me to jump out of the carriage. I turned my back to roll my eyes, knowing that I had no choice but to abide.

My hands and feet were already sore from the cuffs and links that kept on torturing my ankles and wrists every time I move them. The chilled forest breeze sent shivers down my bare skin as I planted my feet on the ground. The Amazon jumped behind me, pushing me towards the shabby tent to keep on going, my heels leaving poke marks on the loose soil and dry leaves that smattered the ground.

My eyes strayed intently all over the place, looking for the gates that Lilly was saying. Lilly said it was behind their camp. I’m already behind their camp and there’s no gate anywhere. My thoughts averted to reality the moment I felt a hand push my back.

I tumbled inside the tent and I was perfectly positive I scraped my elbow in something rough. My rusty links clinked loudly as I hit the squeaky floor boards. I grimaced and grunted in pain as I tried to haul myself into a sitting position.

The tent was dimly lit by four torches attached in the pillars at each corner. There were many weird artifacts like treasure chests, animal furs and horns of various beasts I can never name. The stuffed ravens were a horrifying sight but it wasn’t as revolting as the dead frogs inside the line of jars. I looked away, frozen by the gorgy feeling.

If there’s anyone who knows my secret fear of these sickening amphibians; it’d be my substitute lab partner Daniel- the crown prince- whom I love- whom I left. I curse myself for being stupid enough for letting him out of my sight.

“You like it here? This is my let’s say… lair.” She spoke as she crossed her arms and leaned on a pillar. “You’ll be staying here for a while but… we’ll never know.” She laughed at her own personal joke that I didn’t even get. Any sane person in my position- chained and thrown on the ground- wouldn’t know how to laugh.

She sat comfortably, reclining her back and raising her legs on a worn sofa covered by a pile of animal furs as I was left to stare at her from the floor.

“What are you planning to do to me?” I asked. I was surprised I could already hear my voice. Maybe they just took my voice back in the castle so no one would hear me scream. Now they’re giving it back because even if I die screaming, no one would hear.

“Really Princess? You really want to know?” She straightened her back and crossed her legs facing me. I nodded.

“Well first, I will fetch some of my clothes back from the camp and bring it here. Then, you will take that expensive blue ball gown off and wear my clothes. The fun part happens after that.” She said as she stood up and made her way to one of the many small wooden cabinets that lined the walls. She opened the one in front of her and fingered the multicolored bottles that lined with different labels- which I cannot read from my far distance.

“You see, Princess, this is what you learn when you get banished from the citadel where you grew up just because you fell in love with the wrong guy. They take away your home, your properties, and your rights and throw you out in the wilderness. Luckily, the Dreamscapes took me in. They gave me shelter, they gave me food, and they even taught me all of their ways. They taught me how to make these.” She flipped her waist length black hair to face me. She was carrying a little glass elixir with a murky dark swooshing substance inside. She went to my direction, showing me the little worn parchment- attached with a string to the cork; the label. ‘La Mia’ it reads.