Crown Princess of Rosso

Chapter 21: Crown Princess of Rosso

“… we are next in line to be Queen. When they find out that there’s only one blood line that is ruling more than one kingdom, one of us must die.”

3:00 PM

I was having a really nice dream. It was the continuation of what I was doing before I finally fell asleep. At first I thought it was real but when I woke up; I was alone in the king size bed. Reece had already gone somewhere only he knows.

The continuous, or shall I say ‘desperate’ knocking on the hardwood door made me completely come into senses as I roll on the velvety blue sheets. Surely it was the reason why I woke up. Jumping out of bed, I picked up my woolen robe and secured its belt tightly on my waist.

It was Ebony, carrying a familiar box from Mademoiselle Antoine gown collections. She said it’s time to dress up. And by dress up she meant to get me ‘Princessed up’ for the ball that starts three hours from now. The process took an entire hour as it reminded me of my mom and Maria, doing my hair and make-up for weddings and anniversaries and reunions and meetings and endless gatherings that mom and I needed to attend for the sake of our presence. Somehow I wished I knew how to put this stuff on so I can spare them the damages.

“You are an absolute vision, Princess.” She said after securing my crown finally for the third attempt. I smiled back in gratitude. I must admit I looked descent enough but I knew it was the diamonds and the dress that carried it out. I could have appreciated the dress and myself more if I didn’t have so many things bothering me inside my brain.

As I looked at the mirror, I somehow see Lily. I’m starting to get few of her features now that I’m the same age as her when she died. She would always be so beautiful to me and I’ve looked up to her ever since. Now that I’m seventeen, I’m starting to look a lot like her. Well except for the obvious fact that I have more pounds to shed and her skin’s a lot fairer than mine, she also had the straight light brown hair I had always and forever envied.

I remember seeing her beautiful hair that matched her eyes for the last time. It was the summer of 2004 in our great grandfather’s old property in Oscoda. We used to go there every summer and practically made the woods our family camping trail. The whole family was there; mom, dad, grandpa, Aunt Meredith, Lily and I.

That afternoon, everybody was setting up the tents and preparing the bonfire while Lily took me to gather twigs deep in the woods. She talked about this older guy she met somewhere in Greektown.

“I think I like him. You think that’s possible, Lucinda?” She asked as I wiped my soiled hands on my pants. Only Lily could call me ‘Lucinda’ because she lets me call her ‘Tamika’ which is actually a pretty name to me so I wonder why she hates it.

“May I remind you that you’re talking to a ten year old?” She laughed at this as she continued picking up dried twigs and throwing away damp ones.

“You are such a baby. Grow up, Lucinda. What if Tyler Mayer asks you out? Would you go with him?” She knows about my huge crush on Tyler and she’d always make malice about Tyler hanging out at home to make homework and watch Harry Potter with me on DVD.

“Is that a question? I’ve known Tyler for like half my life, Tamika. Of course I will. And if this is about going with that mysterious Greektown guy, I’d say; no. You will not go out with him. You don’t even know who he is, he might be some sort of … drug pusher or something.” I said.

“Now look who’s taking my place as big sister. I’ve been meeting him for two weeks now and it feels like I’ve known him forever. Believe me; he’s nothing like that. You know Lucinda, you’re still very young. Someday you’ll understand why people do make choices.” It was getting dark that afternoon so I didn’t have a chance to look at her reaction and see if she’s just faking seriousness. Tamika can really be good liar but there’s something in her voice that moment that caught my ten year old thoughts; sadness, regret, I don’t know exactly.