Prologue

All Rights Reserved 

Prologue

“You will only know the true value of things when they’re lost forever.”

Outskirts of the Azurian Castle Boarder, Carpatia

11:50 PM

I ran as fast as I could with only the pale, inconstant full moonlight to provide luminescence in the treacherous path that I’m taking. The cold forest wind brushed all over me as my hair deliberately whips my face and bare shoulders. My breathing is audible and roughened. My beating heart was raging and erratic, but somehow it assured me of what I was saving myself from- what I was running away from.

Carrying my heavy skirt on both arms, I remembered the last time I carried my gown like this. It was to keep it from getting destroyed by the thorny shrubs. Now, I didn’t care. I just have to run without any form of hurdle.

The earth beneath me was hard and covered with dry leaves that levitate with the wind as I passed by. The gaps in between trees were getting constricted as I slid in the narrow spaces and all of a sudden, my crown got caught up in a branch. I remember the last time my crown got caught up like this, that time I should’ve stopped walking. I should have, and none of these could’ve happened. Now, all I needed to do is continue running- as fast as I could.

I held my crown on top of my head as I started hearing fast paced footsteps running towards me. Tears pricked my eyes but I forced myself to keep them at bay. I tightened my grip on my gown and tried to run even faster but then, I tripped.

You know that feeling when things get wrong every time you’re in a hurry? When you are just so late for school and when you start your car; you’re out of gas. When you’re to pass a project in the deadline and it’s marked late, you think of things you shouldn’t have done earlier just to get there few minutes before. You shouldn’t have eaten breakfast, you shouldn’t have answered the phone or you shouldn’t have waited in the subway and took your car instead.

That’s what it felt like when I tripped. I shouldn’t have tripped. Not in this exact time where one of them finally spotted me.

A hand grabbed my upper arm, jerking me towards its owner. It was the huge muscular guy from the gypsy camp. His gray ice cold eyes were swimming with lust as he shoves me into the ground. I grimaced with the impact of my bare back to the hard ground. He astride me and tightened his grip on both my arms, leaving me immobile except for my head. Hispanic words of worship came out of his mouth as his eyes strayed over my body.

He bent over as he and nuzzled my neck. It was disgusting and I was in the verge of tears. I couldn’t scream; it would just draw more of them in my location so I resisted in any way I can. I begged, I shook, but there was no stopping his tongue from running down my jaw to my neck; tasting me- tasting my soul. My tears finally cascaded out of my eyes.

He noticed my sobs as he withdrew his lips from sucking my collarbone. He looked at me with eminent anger and disappointment. His eyes darkened, making his pupils dilate as it consumed his gray iris. His heated tan skin turned cold and pale as veins crawled out from his hairline, mandibles and neck. His breathing was ragged; notched. His long ash blonde hair turned gray as everything human about him turned away.

He groaned loudly cueing my helpless tears to pour even further. I was struggling; hard. But it was no use with his metal grip and claws digging into my skin. He groaned again, murmuring Hispanic words of threats or curse maybe as he punched me hard on the face.

This is it. I’m going to die. I remember the last time I thought of those words, I was so sure about it as I pulled the dagger away from my stomach and clutched my blood soaked shirt. Now, I was never less sure about it. This is really it. As he released his final inhuman roar and threw his head back ready for his momentum, I closed my eyes.

My fate is sealed. I’m going to die in the arms of a soul-sucker.

I can feel his breath slowly taking away the energy from my body but then, I heard a sudden sharp wisp of wind. He grunted in pain and roared in anguish. I opened my eyes seeing his mouth dripping with his own blood as he fell sideways; beside me. I nudged away from him, seeing a dagger plunged deep in behind his neck. Someone threw a dagger at him; someone saved me.

Still, I was trembling but somehow I was insured of safety as I saw Reece running towards me. He came to me. He came to me despite everything I’ve done; despite every lies I’ve told, despite every secrets I’ve kept. Tears of relief flooded my face as he enclosed me in his loving embrace.

“You will be safe outside the barriers,” He said. His eyes were undeniably sad as he broke off our hug.

I was hesitant to leave him but if they catch me, they’ll either go with the complicated Plan A or with the much easier; Plan B.

He helped me plant my feet on the ground and looked me in the eyes like he was absorbing every detail of my face. I did the same with him, studying his baby blue eyes, his sculptured nose, his full pink lips but then, I heard faint sounds of horses coming our way. I had to go.

“Go,” He let go of my hand and once again, I was in the verge of crying like a five year old left alone in the zoo. Only this zoo that I’m in doesn’t have cages for wild beasts.

“Run,” He commanded as I stepped back without words.

“Run, I’ll hold them back for you.” With these words of his, my eyes strayed to his face for the last time and I turned away.

My tears weren’t of fear of getting killed any longer. It weren’t of fear of losing my memory of him as well. But it was of fear of not seeing him ever again after I cross the fine line that separates us from fantasy to reality. The horses are getting nearer but from afar, I could already see the barrier as I ran towards it.

I ran as fast as I can.