Surprises, Secrets and Threats

Chapter 22: Surprises, Secrets and Threats

“…Would you choose to leave Princess, the law proclaims that any human that comes in contact with one of the three Kingdoms’ vicinity and wishes to return to their realm shall be equitably eradicated with the memories that he or she has obtained within his or her stay. Or be put to death…”

8:30 PM

My heels were loud against the pavement as I walked towards the ballroom entrance. The air felt heavier with the words that Lily left me with. I inhaled deeply as I stopped in front of the double door where everyone was in. I can hear the gentle symphonies played inside the room and expected it to calm my nerves like any music does to me; but it didn’t. It just signified the uncertainties that could happen once I finally get inside.

The door cracked open and my heart gave a sudden leap. I clutched my skirt like my life depended on it and lifted it up a little. I straightened my back and blew a cold wisp of air from my puckered lips as the door opened wider for me to enter. The music became much louder as I took the first step with my trembling right foot.

I walked in the middle of the wide sparkling room with the ends of my full length ball gown swooshing around my ankles. Everywhere around me, girls stared and whispered excitedly, comparing their dresses and shoes with each other and mine. Gentlemen tottered and laughed loudly with their hands on their pockets if not on some skinny waist or some fancy wine glasses of intricate crystal. The large diamond chandelier showered streaks of silver light down on the spacious dance floor where the dancers started assembling in pairs.

I looked around for faces I could recognize but all there was were many blissful ones: laughing, twirling, fanning, caressing and sipping. I dwelled frozen for some time, in absolute awe of the beautiful era that I have just been transported into.

The music and the dance finally came to an end as everyone gave the dancers an insultingly soft but sincerely appreciated applause. Maybe they really don’t clap loudly around here. I thought as I walked further looking for Reece. I know Lily won’t approve of me asking Reece about any diabolical plans of turning me into a Soul-Feeder, but I trust him. I trust that he won’t tell anyone about the escape I’m planning. I trust that he would help me sneak out of the almighty gates. I trust that he won’t kill me for leaving Azura with no future ruler. Moreover, I trust him… with my life.

The King’s greeting of a great evening was heard all over the room as he slowly stepped down from the great staircase. All eyes were on him as he stopped in the step just above the landing. Everybody was waiting for him to say something.

“It has been a very long time since we have gathered together in this hall. I remember it clearly. It was the summer of the year 1886 when we proclaimed Clarissa as the Crown Princess of Azura. It was perfect. For once my Queen and I thought that we have secured the throne with rightful rulers before we perish but then, destiny didn’t seem to approve. You all know how devastated we were and how Azura wept for the loss of the heiress. Years passed and we became desperate to find a rightful Crowned Head to be next in line to be King and Queen of Azura.” He paused for a while to look at his adopted daughter Gold on the far end of the vestibule with her lover Jocelin.

“The Druadan Lord; my dear friend Borelli and I; the Azurian King, has fixed a marriage not only to form a greater alliance but to bind both our kingdoms in marriage of his son, Lord Troy Deveraux of Druada and my daughter, Princess Gold Dragomir of Azura. The marriage was a mistake that we shall never forget and with that we swore never to arrange a marriage and sacrifice love just for any security, even if it’s the security of our kingdoms.” He paused to hear the peoples’ positive responses and smiled before he continued.