Waiting

Chapter 15: Waiting

11:00 PM

I paced back and forth around the room impatiently waiting for his arrival.

You know the feeling when you’re looking for something and you don’t know where to look? Helpless; that’s how it felt. I just wanna jump outside the castle and ask around but I kept in mind what Caleb said when I asked when his brother is coming home. “Maybe late this evening,”

This is late evening. And I obviously am worried.

I shook off the thoughts of Reece, meeting the Psycho gypsy on his way home. I wonder what the reason behind his anger of Reece is.

A knock on the door brought me back into my senses as I hurriedly flew towards it. I clasped the cold silver knob, thanking God the he’s already home.

“Your highness, the Crown prince has not yet returned.” A servant informed. My heart constricted with fear and worry but I managed not to let them reach my face.

“Thank you Ebony. You’re now dismissed.” My voice cracked, making her look at me with eminent worry. I watched her disappear through the corridors as I decided to inform Caleb.

“Whoa!” He exclaimed the instant he swung the door open with my desperate blows called knocking. His shocked expression reminded me of what I was wearing- my new set of lacey underwear, a see-through robe and nothing else. I haven’t even thought of changing into one of Reece’s shirts and pajamas.

“He’s not home yet.” I have no idea why was I in the verge of freaking out. The truth is I already am freaking out since eight o’clock. I paced in front of his door.

“Will you calm down? Are you out of your mind, walking in the hallway with just that?” He regarded my clothes with disgust. I don’t care. I’m worried. I started biting my fingernails.

“Get in. I’m sure Clarissa’s clothes would fit you.” I got in, and he closed the door behind me.

“He’s not home yet.” I repeated, now with a cracking voice as I watched him open a closet and fish a pair of neatly folded night gown.

“I’m sure he’s on his way.” He sure isn’t as worried as I am. The night gown smells of old wood, mothballs and faint rose perfume. It smells like my grandmother. I meant that in a good way. I wonder if it’s made of thick cotton or just very thin and wool. It’s kind of warm, making me feel cozy as I draped its long length over my shoulders instead of wearing it. It somehow distracted me from worrying about Reece’s late arrival.

“You said he’ll be home late. This is late.” I finally voiced out the thoughts that has been haunting me three hours ago.

“What time exactly is late for you? Because late for me is past midnight.” He said as he pulled out a chair for me from behind a coffee table. I sat. The cold from the marble floor was slowly making itself recognized. I curled up in the chair, thinking about… I don’t know… Reece?

“Are you sure he’s on his way?” I asked, even though he just said he was.

“What in the skies of Azura are you worried about?” He asked, assessing my actions as unreasonable.

“Someone wants to hurt him.” I murmured.

“It’s normal to have issues outside the boarder, despite the fact that the Treaty of Peace still stands from 1720 to today. But I assure you Lucy, none of the kingdoms will ever dare to break that.” He said in a-matter-of- fact way.