Crowned Heads

Chapter 11: Crowned Heads

“You will stay in this room with me whether you like it or you really like it.” He said, taking off his shirt.

Eyes away from the packs. Eyes away from the packs.

“You live in a ridiculously huge castle, Dragomir! How can you not have any spare rooms for me? I can manage sleeping in the infirmary you know.” I suggested, looking at the cast on my left ankle instead.

“You should stop calling me with my last name. You sound like you’re mocking the king and queen.” He said and closed the bathroom door behind him, leaving me alone in his white marbled room, in his soft, shiny, royal blue quilted bed. Oh, that’s right. He’s a prince.

Blue, white, silver, blue, white, silver, oh at last, something of different color; gray! Nah, it’s still somehow the same with silver. Out of boredom, I entertained myself with my newly invented game called ‘Blue, white, silver, other’. The main concept of this game is to find an entirely different color in Reece’s room. I’ve been noticing this since I was in the infirmary and while walking in the corridors before we got here. What’s taking him too long in the shower?

“Bored?” Speaking of the devil. He asked, stepping out of the bathroom with only a thick white towel hanging low on his waist. Eyes away from the packs. Eyes away from the packs. I peeled my eyes off his heavenly sculptured body and stared at my cast again.

“Nah,” I lied, looking out the window. “Why is you’re castle so trichromatic?” I opened a conversation, having my eyes plastered on the arched window; seeing nothing but blue skies.

“It’s the ascribed color for our kingdom.” He answered shortly. I can see him buckling his belt in the corner of my eye. He took my silence as a cue for continuation so he went on.

“Lucy, what’s the color of Dracula’s cape?” He asked.

“Red and black. Red in the inside and black on the outside.” I answered excitedly feeling the trivia and turning back to him because of the incongruous question. He was already fixing his tie. I’m safe to look.

“Correct, so that means the Sanguine’s ascribed color is red and black. The Life- feeder’s color on the other hand is green and gold, while ours is blue and silver.” He said, opening a closet and showing me the same blue and silver cape like the one worn by his brother Prince Caleb and King Nicolae. He took it out and flipped it over his back.

“Fuck. Dracula’s real?” I wouldn’t be shocked if he said yes.

“Yes he is, but he’s not a Vampire.” He said.

“That’s somehow disappointing.” I murmured. He laughed, hearing it.

“You’re so cute. But let me tell you something not everyone knows.” I knew my face lit up with this.

“His name was Vlad. My great grandfather told dad and then dad told Gold and I once, that Vlad used to come to Carpatia when the ‘Red Castle of the North’ was still being constructed. He was the Prince of Walachia from 1447 to 1462, seeing his father the King brutally murdered and his mother die in depression; he was left to be taken care of by a family friend who claimed to be his Aunt- who happened to be a Sanguine. He ruled Walachia by terror, collecting the blood of all he kills, to be fed to his Aunt and the increasing number of his Aunt’s blood-sucking girlfriends. That’s why people feared him more, thinking that he was the one consuming it. Dad also told us he has psychiatric needs too.” He said, combing his hair and twisting in his….. crown.

So he was just protecting and taking care of his Aunt, and the increasing number of his Aunt’s blood-sucking girlfriends. Who would’ve thought he was just a psychotic trauma victim who loves his fake Aunt. I was too absorbed by the whole Prince Vlad Dracula revelation that I didn’t notice the three maids getting in.