Status Quo

Chapter 4: Status Quo

“No matter how a plan is prepared for, a plan will always have a weak point and there will always be those to exploit it and it’s up to you to perpetuate it.”

Monday, 4:00 AM

I was scared to death. I was and still am but the thought of knowing what kind of unworldly creature her murderer is; drives me into being responsible for the death of the next victim.

By the look in his eyes as he sucked the soul out of Kendra’s mouth, by the sudden change of his unhealthy appearance into becoming the ravishingly handsome boy that he was, I can somehow tell that he was feeding. And as far as my knowledge about feeding gets, it does have to happen more than once.

People need to feed. Animals need to feed. Even Vampires need to feed as well if somehow they happen to truly exist because from what I saw back there, I might believe anything from Vampires to fairies to mermaids to zombies.

“Miss? Are you okay?” The concerned voice of the maid and her knocking against the door startled me as it made me come into senses. It was raining cats and dogs as I looked out of the window. I never like rainy days but this time I felt relieved because it’d surely erase my foot prints in the muddy crime scene.

“Y…yes” I answered turning off the faucet, stopping the water from the tub that had been overflowing for what seemed like forever.

“Do you need help Miss?” She exclaimed more than asked, in clear doubt of my sanity.

“N…no, I’m fine.” I didn’t want her to get in as she will only prove herself correct in whatever she thinks I am- psychotic. I heard her faint footsteps come out of earshot as I looked at the ticking wall clock above the orchid ornament across the bathroom. It was four in the morning as the realization came to me that I’ve been soaked in the tub for almost three hours, which was obviously freezing.

My fingers were wrinkled and my skin was two tones paler than usual as all I ever had in mind was the replay of Kendra’s death.

I breathed in, pulling myself together and stood up dripping wet from the foamy tub. I grabbed a towel, not bothering to rinse as I slipped on my pajamas. The instant my head hit the pillow; I was dead to the world.

My three hour sleep felt like minutes as I was again forced to wake up with the irritating sound of my alarm clock and somehow a rather fiery refreshing goal of getting to know the real Reece Daniel Dragomir.

The maid forced me to where concealer and take meds for clods as she helped me dry my hair. I had no complaints. Pulling up a flowery knee length dress and a brown knitted jacket, I slipped into an ankle high cowgirl boots and hauled my leather carry all in one shoulder.

“Skipping breakfast? A miracle” My mom declared, tossing me a Tupperware with a couple of sandwiches in it.

“Thanks mom.” I replied as I slipped it inside my carryall.

“Why are you in such a rush?” She asked, not even looking at me as she enjoyed her bacon and eggs. “Project?” She guessed.

“Um… Yeah, it’s…kind of. It’s this psychological research project.” I flashed a nervous grin and banged the door close the instant I saw her nod. Knowing her, I knew she would want to know more. It’s just my job to dodge her questions.

Yup, It’s a research project were I’ll be ending up either in trouble or dead.

I avoided looking at the eerie greenery were Kendra’s murder happened. Her body might still be there. Of course it would still be, as there were no yellow police lines or frantic passersby in sight. The tears started kicking in as I accelerated my speed and reached the parking lot.