Interrogation

Chapter 6: Interrogation

“What’s more easier way to avoid being suspected than to make it seem like there ain’t any suspect at all?”

1:54 PM

The police station reeked of the scent of coffee beans. But it wasn’t the smell that bothered me. It was the heavy air around the narrow room where we were pushed into; ‘Interrogation Room’. I wonder how many crimes were solved in this room, how many suspects were identified and how much dreadful news was broken to families.  Katherine Hunter, Victoria Clarke and I sat quietly waiting for something we didn’t exactly know. Victoria was the one who saw the body and called 911 that instant.

What was she doing in the forest at lunch time anyway?

The door cracked opened making us three almost jump at our seats. A big white officer came in. He suites a hillbilly more than a police officer with those bushy gray mustache and bloated belly. 

“Good afternoon girls. Officer Franklin De Mente,” He opened, shaking our hands. We greeted back. He released a heavy breath as he sat facing Victoria Clarke.

“Do you girls have any idea on what’s happening in your high school?” He had a very American country accent. We shook our heads after giving each other awkward stares. Silence filled the little room as he bent further to us, making Victoria lean backwards.

“For six months, six of your schoolmates are dead, one each month.” His stick out one finger and looked us in the eye one by one.

“First victim, Nicole Harper. you do know her do ya?” He said as a projected picture of Nicole flashed in the white board. Yes, the ever beautiful Nicole. Perfect strawberry blonde hair, pristine blue eyes, last year’s prom queen and once saved a geek from Tiffany Smith’s dragon claws. We nodded. “Do you know how she died?” He asked.

“They say its drug overdose.” I whispered.

“Well it ain’t true honey.” He clicked a button on the laptop beside him and projected Nicole’s dead face. It was macabre. Her eyes were slightly gouged out, her mouth slightly parted, her lips white with blotches of blue and green. “She was poisoned- Hydrocyanic acid, colorless with a bitter almond scent, easy to disguise. Maybe mixed with coffee, chocolate, mocha, anything that’d be good with almonds, knowing that Ms. Harper is insomniac due to love of caffeine, I’d go with coffee. A mug filled with one was found in her bedside table.”

“But how come the news that reached us said it’s just drug over dose? Why didn’t you people inform us that it was murder when you knew all along? Isn’t that against our right for information?” I asked.

“The police has the right to hold information little girl. And we didn’t know this since the second victim died. Sure the forensics team wondered what that cyanide was doing in her system but we all thought it was a mere suicide. Knowing that her parents just got divorced recently and they’re fighting for her custody, was enough reason for the detectives to think it.” His answer silenced me.

“Second victim, Poppy Brown. She’s Victim number one’s best friend.” Another blonde with pretty brown eyes and bright pink lips that looked like she’s been frenching a tub of margarine replaced Nicole’s macabre photo. She was the best of the tennis club and head cheerleader. Now Tiffany’s enjoying her throne. Everybody knows the sporty blabbermouth Poppy. We’ve spent middle school together and freshmen as best of friends. “Do you know how she died?” He asked again.

“She hanged herself, depression maybe.” Victoria answered.

“Wrong.”

“But we saw a picture of her on the paper with the ropes.”