The Fortune Teller

Chapter 12:  The Fortune Teller

“Respect is not something to demand or to necessitate, it is something earned.”

5:45 AM

I awaken with the sound of chirping birds and bright daylight seeping through the lids of my sluggish eyes.

Where the am I?

Oh okay. I’m in Reece’s bedroom- Prince Reece’s bedroom. I turned away from the blinding light, seeing his peaceful sleeping face. He looks so divine that I can’t help but run my fingers through his soft blonde hair. He stirs, opening his baby blue orbs.

“Hi,” He says, flashing me his irresistibly adorable smile.

“Hey,” I replied. He bent over to kiss my forehead and crawled out of bed. I covered my stupid grin with a pillow and deliberately hit my head with it. How does he do this to me?

“Don’t you have somewhere to go? With the Queen,” He hinted, making me remember the appointment I made with his mother. It still needs to get a little getting used to, but yes; I’m friends with the Queen.

A knock on our door was heard before I could answer him. “You may enter.” Reece raised his voice for the person outside to hear. The door opened and it was Ebony. She was carrying a neatly folded white gown.

“I will help you bathe, miss.” She said, after bowing to Reece. I will never get used to this sight; everyone bowing to Reece, to me, the King and Queen, everything. I know I can manage giving myself a bath without her help but it’s an ease talking to Ebony, or shall I say talking to someone rather than Reece and his royal family. Reece decided to leave the room and use another bathroom so I could use ours. I feel like we’re a married couple in some weird way.

As Ebony and I entered the bathroom, I told her my plans for the day.

“To Madame Gould? The Queen never brings anyone with her when she goes there. Well with the exemption of her carriage driver which just stays outside her tent but to actually bring you with her seemed unusual.” Ebony spoke as if I was going to die.

“No way, will I be in trouble?” I asked, taking off my night gown.

“That’s for Madame Gould to answer, but I must say you instantly won the Queen’s heart.” She said as I plunged in the warm soothing water of the tub.

“I guess. Oh hey, remember you told me about never saying ‘no’ to their offers? Why is that?” I asked.

“Oh miss, have you tried declining an offer?” She sounded worried.

“Kinda, but I remembered what you said and accepted it.” I said, lathering shampoo to my hair.

“Oh miss, you should never ever do that again. You will not like them displeased.” She almost scolded, but her hushed tone in speaking makes every emotion masked. “They’d look really scary when they’re angry.” She whispered, invoking me to remember Queen Farra’s face when I handed the necklace back to her; blush all gone, white face, wide open black eyes, thin blue veins, thin pressed lips, cocked head.

“Ebony, does humans come here a lot? I mean, this place is humungous, it’s impossible there’s none of my kind walking ‘round here.” I changed the topic.

“Carpatia is a magically veiled place, miss. Any human who comes near the perimeters are either consumed or sent back. You know that feeling when you’ve been walking for so long and you end up in the same place? That’s how our magic lure people away.” She said, scrubbing my feet.