19: Dominic

Heaven Knows OST: ♫ No Angel by Birdy ♫

Chapter 19: Dominic

I was flooding tears for Noah’s Ark.

Anna had completely forgotten about me.

I hate to admit this but that was how my story had ended.

If our hearts could find a way… only Heaven knows.

If she comes back to me… only Heaven knows.

I’ve been anticipating the time she would eventually forget about me. But I had never thought—not even to myself that when the day finally comes I wouldn’t be ready. I wasn’t that strong enough to hold on to myself. I guess I wasn’t meant to hold on to anything. It felt like falling way down too deep to an unseen ground.

I perched on the flat surface of the roof that used to be Anna’s hiding place. I was like a bird figuring out how to fly. But my feathers ran out and I stared at the sky like an ocean of questions hung in the clouds.

Yes, I have considered the possibility of my eyes as rain clouds but it never really rained that hard to cause a catastrophic flood. That would be over dramatic of me. But right now, I think it’s gonna rain and I don’t know if I’d be able to stop the flood from breaking through.

“Dom,” I looked up to find Rose’s head peeking down the barricade at me.

I immediately wiped away the stray tears that fell down my cheeks.

“You heard the news flash?” I tried to joke but my voice sounded like I ate a frog. All that’s left to say is “Ribbit!”. But I found out that I couldn’t even laugh at my own joke.

Rose looked down at her hands. “I’m sorry, Dom. I… I really am.”

I smiled at the clouds. “We both knew this was gonna happen. I just didn’t expect this to happen so soon. The pain… it’s unbearable. I don’t even know why I’m still breathing.”

I looked back at her and she tried to smile but she couldn’t.

“I’m sorry. I know you shouldn’t be listening to me. This is full of TV drama shit.”

She nodded with utmost understanding.

“How did you know I’m here?” I asked.

She sighed. “Scott looked for me and he begged me to ask you to please come down.”

I had to suppress a laugh. “He begged you?” Scott Orson. Of course he knew everything. But Scott Orson begging? You’ve got to be kidding me.

Rose frowned at me as if I had offended her. “No.” she sighed again. “Will you just please come back up?”

Worry filled her eyes. Scott needed her help so that he won’t have to climb up here. Scott and his acrophobia issues. I took pity on Rose. She looked like she was about to cry so I went back up as she asked me too. Only then she had let her tears fall.

“Rose,”

“I’m sorry.” she sobbed. “I should have listened to you… now Anna doesn’t remember me either.”

I awkwardly wrapped my arms around her and I pressed her closer to me in a light hug. I patted the top of her head. When her crying ebbed, she took a step back from me.

“Look, I know you’re badly hurt but you have to get back to her.” she said persistently. My eyebrows rose at her. “You just have to, Dom. She needs you now more than ever. Please don’t give up on Anna.”