5: Dominic

Chapter 5: Dominic

Stories came from life as life was shaped from the particles of the earth. Words formed sentences as sentences are formed by deep emotions. Emotions built connections and connections created love. Love created moments as moments shaped stories that stay for life.

 You see, complications are not only formed in words, or it’s not what you watch on movies. Complications are very real.

Complications with a capital “C” at the beginning of this sentence, is by far the malevolent antagonist in my so called not-so-started love life. Why did I ever agree to Heaven when I know I couldn’t keep her promise?

“So,” Scott emerges like a ghost beside me out of smoke. “You asked her out?”

I wish he didn’t have to say that.

“No. She doesn’t want to be asked out.”

He cringes. “What?” he huffs. “Dom, she’s booooring.”

“But we’re friends.”

Scott snorts. “Double what did you say? You agreed to be just friends with the girl you like—more than a friend like?” I nodded and he grasped his hair in frustration. I am so stressful, I know. “Dom, friend is a word for puberty baby boys! Honestly, you need to take some serious logical action.”

“You know sometimes I hate you. Thanks for the support. You are really helpful.”

“Oh come on, Dom! Don’t be mad.”

“So, help me out!” I was shock how desperate I sound to my own best friend. Even Scott wasn’t that dumb or numb to notice it. So I gave in.

“She doesn’t want to be more than friends with me. She doesn’t want to go out with me. If I try and do any of those things, she’ll cut me out. Being her friend is the only way I know how.”

Scott frowns. “Wow. She’s jeopardy.”

“More like anomaly.” I add.

“Maybe she’s just playing hard-to-get. Usually, when a girl says N-O she meant the opposite.”

My eyebrows crease. “Really?”

“Yah.”

I doubt it. But what if Anna meant it that way? What if she’s just playing hard-to-get? What if she just wants to make sure how sincere I am with her? What if she wants me to try harder?

“Hey, Scott?”

Scott raises his eyebrows at me.

“Maybe it’s time to show me how saintly you are. It’s your chance to get a recommendation for your early canonization.”

Right on cue, his head Bluetooths with mine.

***

Heaven makes her way to the hall of lockers.

Standing close by I watch her take the note I attached on her locker before she unlocks it. Behind me, my ever so aggressive best friend, Scott, pushes me out. I’m sure she read the letter but I didn’t get any reaction from her face. It’s like she thought the letter came to stick on her locker’s door by mistake.

So I moved to plan B.

I attached another note to her locker and I stood beside the door. Once she closes her locker, she’ll find the note and the note will point at me. I am sure it will work because the note clearly states “handsome” with an arrow directed to me.