2/ Chapter Two

I go into the kitchen to start lunch for when Hazel wakes up, keeping the baby monitor near.

A little over an hour later, I fear movement through the baby monitor.

"Daddy.....Daddy," I hear muffles through the baby monitor. A groggy Hazel calls out my name. It's not upset sounding, or giggly. This is odd behaviour. I go upstairs, still trying to determine what caused Hazel's weird behaviour.

When I enter the room, Hazel is standing up in her crib, holding her dummy in one hand while the other keeps her balanced by holding onto the railing of the crib.
"Daddy!" Hazel says happily.
"Hey, honey! What do you need?" Hazel woke up earlier than what time she usually wakes up from her nap, which worries me.

"Miss you." She mumbles as I lift her from the crib and hold her tightly.
"You missed me? Is that why you woke up?" I feel Hazel nodding from where her face is stuffed into the crook of my neck. "Well, do you think you could sleep a little longer?" I ask hopefully. Hazel shakes her head no. "What if I stayed in here with you?" Still a no. I sigh in defeat.

"How about some milk and cuddles then?" If I keep pushing the sleep, she'll just get more upset. Maybe with milk she'll be able to sleep again. Although, she hasn't been very talkative since she woke up. She nods her head yes so I start venturing downstairs.

"Are you okay, bub? You're not talking very much." I say in a concerned voice as we wait for Hazel's bottle to warm up.
"Head huwts." She complains, burying her head into my shoulder so I can't see her face. "S' bwight." She adds seconds later. I coo and rub her back.

"Aw, honey. I'm sorry your head feels icky. Do you feel like you're going to puke?" I ask worriedly, going to turn off the overhead kitchen light that seems to be bothering her. She shakes her head which I feel somewhat relieved about. Her headache is probably because she hasn't drunk enough water today. I eye the lunch sitting at the table. I'm not sure if she'll want to eat or not.

"I think that maybe you need to drink some more water. Can you drink some before your milk?"
"No! Milk!" Hazel pleads with her eyes that are a little droopy. I have a feeling that this afternoon is going to be rough. I also have to go to the recording studio. Apparently, they lost a whole track on the album, so I have to do it all over again. They called me while Hazel was sleeping. They said that it'll be 'quick' , but things like these are time consuming. I feel bad for putting this on Louis.

I'm a little miffed, but it has to be done so that it'll be completed by the deadline. But with Hazel in this state, it'll be a struggle to leave. Louis will be here though, he's good with her. I called him earlier and he said yes.

"If you drink the milk now, will you have water after?" I practically beg. Hazel nods rapidly, reaching her hands out for the bottle of warm, soothing milk. "Do you think you can do it by yourself?" I ask. I want to go get her some water, but I can't screw on the sippy cup lid with one hand. I'm hoping she'll cooperate as well as let me put her on the floor. Rather than replying, Hazel takes the bottle into her hands and starts drinking it. I smile. Now for the hard part.

I move her so that I can set her down on the floor by the kitchen, so I can still see her. She doesn't make any attempt to cling on as I move her, but once her bottom is on the floor and I'm in the kitchen, she wants me again.

I watch as she takes one more sip of milk before carelessly setting it on the floor on its side. She quickly walks over to me, not wanting to worsen the headache by running. When I look down, I see tears in her eyes. She makes grabby hands at me as she begins to cry, little tears dribbling down her face.