2/ Chapter Nineteen

Harry's POV

I can't believe it. Today is Hazel third birthday! She's growing up too fast, I don't like it. It seems like just yesterday she had just arrived at my doorstep and I was freaking out because I couldn't get her to stop crying. Now, she's turning three, in the process of potty training, and sleeping in a big bed!

While at some points I wished the endless train of nappies and three a.m wake up calls would stop, I am starting to miss it. I sometimes find myself waking up in the middle of the night, worried that I've slept through Hazel's cries, but she's sound asleep. And even if she does wake up in the middle of the night, she has the choice to get out of bed and go to my room.

I'm going to need to get myself another baby because I just can't let go yet!

Her birthday from last year and today aren't too different. It's just going to be a small family get-together. My mum, Melissa and I spent some of last night putting up decorations like streamers and balloons. Though, my neighbours have kids and they have made acquaintances with Hazel, so they'll be coming too; Niamh and Lily. It's going to be great.

"Wake up, princess!" I whisper, gently shaking the birthday girl awake. It only takes about a minute for her vibrant green eyes to open, and a smile instantly forms on her face.
"Daddy! T'day is m'birfday!" Hazel squeals, immediately getting out of bed and jumping around her room. I've never seen her have this much energy on a morning.
"Yeah, I know! Do you know how old you are today?" I ask, trying to copy the excited voice she has.
"Um, one. . .two. . .fwee! Daddy I'm fwee!" She squeals, holding up three fingers.
"It's 'three', sweetheart, not 'fwee'." I try to explain.
"I knows, Daddy! Dat's what I said." She explains to me with furrowed eyebrows.
"Oh, yes. Silly me." I chuckle.

"Happy Birthday!" I then cheer, wrapping her up into a hug and kissing her face and head repeatedly. She cuddles into me and giggles at the kissing feeling. "I can't believe you're three today. It seems like you were only the size of peanut the first time I laid eyes on you." I reminisce.
"Was I a cute baby?" I nod.
"The cutest little girl I had ever seen. And you still are!" I laugh, tickling her. She giggles as I get out the changing supplies, suspecting she's wet.
"Daddy! Daddy, m'dry!" She says excitedly. I go wide-eyed. That's so great! But at the same time, that means she's getting older and is becoming less dependent on me. Gosh, I really need another baby.
"Wow, really?! Honey, that's great. Shall we go potty then?" I ask, already leading her to the toilet.

She quickly goes potty and I change her into a fresh new pull-up. Right before we go downstairs where my mum is cooking pancakes, Hazel stops me to show me a picture she drew yesterday.
"Look, see? Dat's you, and me, and Mel!" She says with a smile, pointing to all the messily drawn stick figures.
"I love it, honey. It's beautiful. I certainly have a little artist here, don't I?" I chuckle, giving her jammie-clad stomach a little tickle. She giggles and squirms away as I look at the picture closely. Right above Melissa's drawing, there seems to be some sort of word. But I can't read it.

"Hazel, what does that say?" I ask, pointing to the said scribbles.
"It says 'Mummy'. 'Cause she's my real mummy." She confesses, looking shyly at her feet. I sigh, crouching down in front of her.

"Sweetheart, that's a very nice thing to say to Mel. Maybe you can show her later when she's here for your party. And then she can either take it home or we can hang it up ok the fridge." I start,
"But, honey, Grace-she carried you in her tummy and then gave birth to you-she loves you very much. But she and I were mean to each other, so now she's with another man and she loves him. Just like I'm with Melissa and we love each other. Do you understand, pumpkin?" I explain, trying to put it in the simplest way possible. She doesn't need to know all the details, and while I'm not sure if Grace and Dylan are together again, it seems like easiest way to put it.