2/ Chapter Fourteen

"Daddyyyy," Hazel whines for what seems like the millionth time that day. Hazel has been nothing but a fuss today, unlike the days prior when she was a sweet angel. I don't know what's gotten into her, but I don't like it.

Currently, we're in the grocery store. What I thought would be a simple, quick trip, turned out to be a complete nightmare. She's been whining about everything; it being too hot, too cold, too many people, wanting to go home. There's no end to it, and she's really testing my patience.

In my two-and-a-half years of parenting, I think that I've gotten a lot more patient with myself, and Hazel. Though, sometimes, we have our bad days and moments. We always make it through in the end without too many tears. However, when I'm in the middle of a bad day, I feel like I just want to cry and run away. Right now, I'm trying with everything in me not to blow my top at Hazel, as she's been in a mood all day. It's been a day full of sassing, attitudes, tears, and timeouts. It's not common for Hazel to act like this, but when she does, it's bad.

I sigh, before turning around to her pouting position.
"What is it, sweetie?" I ask, trying not to sound impatient and snappy.
"Feet huuuurt," She whines
"Well, you can go in there," I point to the small seat in the cart.
"No! Dat's for babies!" She spats in disgust. I want to point out that she is still technically a baby. But, knowing that if I say that, she would just burst into tears and scream at me. In the store. With everyone staring, so I decide to keep my mouth shut.

"Then you're just going to have to walk." I answer.
"Up!" She whines again, rubbing her eyes with her little fists. She refused to have a nap after lunch. I let her go without one. Now, it's starting to show that she really is exhausted. Hopefully, she'll fall asleep in the car. If, of course, we ever get out of here. Which, at this point, seems like an impossible task.

"I can't right now, Hazel. I'm shopping. I need both hands to push the cart to look at food," I explain. Luckily, we don't need too much here. Just some things for dinner (which I've already gotten most of), milk, nappies, and wipes. I've decided to stick to a simple pasta dinner tonight, seeing as Hazel would probably disagree with anything too exotic.

"But-but Daddy!" Hazel huffs, but backs down when I give her a warning look. I continue my shopping with Hazel trailing behind, finally shushing up for a bit.

When I'm just about finished with shopping, I remember that I need some more shampoo. I groan at this, because I realise the only way to get there is to go through the toy aisle. I really do not want to go there, but my hair is very greasy and I desperately need more shampoo.

I take a deep breath before making my way towards the 'Hair Care' section. I start to see toys for kids of all ages. Dolls, stuffed animals, trains, trucks, things that children would squeal over litter the shelves.

We're about halfway through the toy section when I start to notice an aisle with stuffed animals, a specific small area containing all the Winnie the Pooh characters. Not even a minute later, I hear an excited squeal from behind me. I groan.

"Ah! Daddy, look! Pooh an' his fwiends!" Hazel squeals with a big grin; the first one I think I've seen all day. She runs into the aisle, admiring all the characters. I sigh, really just wanting to get this over with a go home.
"Hazel we ha-" Hazel gasps.
"Daddy, look! Lumpy!" Hazel runs towards me with a stuffed animal that's almost as big as her. It looks like an elephant, but, from my knowledge of Winnie the Pooh, I know it's actually a Heffalump from one of the movies, and his name is Lumpy.

"Hazel, put the toy back, please. We're not here for toys today, love." I say gently, hoping this'll go down without a fight.
"But, Daddy! It's Lumpy! I don' have 'im yet!" She protests.
"Yes you do, honey. Remember? On one of your tables."
"No, 'dis one's big! Need 'dis one Daddy, pleeeassseee!" She begs. I sigh, already knowing that when I decline again, a whole tantrum will break loose. Though, I have to stand my ground. I can't let her have control.