2/ Chapter Five

"Okay, okay. Let's go sit down and chat, yeah?" I soothe, helping her to her feet and guiding her to the couch.

⚠️Warning⚠️- The beginning is a flashback that contains mild mentions of sexual harassment. If you're uncomfortable with it, I would advise skipping the flash back. (Sexual harassment- unwanted touching or sexual remarks)

Flashback- Grace's POV

I watched in fear as Dylan started slowly, yet clumsily undressing himself. I stand near the door of our closed shared bedroom, using my hands to cover the places that I didn't want him to see.

Once he was completely undressed, he started walking towards me with an evil smirk etched on his face. How did I get into this situation? I didn't want to. He knew I didn't want to. I was uncomfortable doing this and I would do just about anything to get out here. But I knew that if I tried to escape, I would get hit. A lot. And he would still do it to me anyway.

I didn't have a say in anything anymore. He made the choices around here now. If I chose not to cooperate, I would end up with bruises marked all over my dainty skin.

Dylan was just about to take my hand, which was shaky due to his drunken state. Suddenly, loud, muffled cried fill our ears. And I couldn't be happier to hear the sound of my baby girl. Dylan groans out in frustration.
"Go shut that THING uuuup." Dylan slurs, his eyes going all over the place. "Bu' be quiick!" He laughs greedily. I nod my head as I slip my nightgown back on.

I race down the hall and into Hazel's room. It isn't very baby friendly. There is a crib in the comer and there are changing supplies scattered all over the floor. The paint on the walls is starting to chip away and fall to the floor.

I try to tell Dylan that it's not safe for her to be in there and that if she accidentally eats a piece she could get very sick. But all that does is earns me is powerful smack in the face and a telling off that goes something like, "That disgusting thing doesn't deserve to be in our room. Plus, we have things to do." He spats at me.

I make my way over to the screaming baby. I try to be slow to buy myself time before I have to delve into my horrible experience that I should be used to now, but I hate it so much.
"Hazel, honey. What's wrong?" I ask, picking her up which uses all my strength. I wince a little as the bruises make their appearance by attacking my arms as I lift the newborn into my arms.

She calms down slightly now that she's in my arms. I try rocking her for about five minutes but it doesn't work. I sigh in frustration and panic, hoping that Dylan will be too drunk to notice my disappearance.

I have no such luck.

"GRACE!" Dylan barks from the other room, causing Hazel to cry louder.
"Well maybe if you would bloody help me she would be calm by now!" I raise my voice, but immediately regret it.
"If yooouu keep talkin' like that you're in for a rouuugh night princess." He snarls. I feel my fists clench at his remark. I would defend myself but I'm too weak and scared. And Dylan would for sure give me a proper beating, and I'm not sure if my body could handle just one more slap to the arm.

Tears start forming in my eyes then out of pure fear and panic.
"C'mon baby, please! Stop crying!" I say, my voice breaking as I look down at my poor girl. It breaks my heart that I can't provide more for her.

I stay up most nights stressed out about how I'm going to be able to support the two of us. Dylan doesn't give me anything. He just lets me stay at his poor excuse of a house just as long as I keep it "clean" and make love to him almost every night.