Chapter 23: Back to Reality

Okay seriously what is this I've been updating this book regularly 😂 I get some cred for that right? 😅 Enjoy! And be prepared...

3 weeks later... January 13th

To the sadness of children and adults alike, Christmas break soon did come to an end.

Ava and Brennan went back to work.

Liam returned to his reporting.

Ari got back to her job at a nice seafood restaurant.

Mary-Margret and David shared one last kiss before returning where they had to hide their affections far more carefully.

Killian and Emma returned to their studies and their Broadway production.

January 6th and everyone was back to their routines.

Unfortunately, for Emma Swan, That mean being ignored far more than she'd been during vacation. After all, she'd, in a way, gained a family.

She and Ari were still in touch, constantly talking about Liam and Ari's wedding to come. But with her being far off in Maine, it wasn't as if they saw each other.

So Emma went right back to being an outcast.

Not anything new, she was used to it. Only... she'd liked the friendly interaction she'd experienced every day with Killian's family.

For Killian, being back to college meant watching Emma's shoulders stacked with a fresh load of stress every day once again.

He hated it. To see her eyes grow dark from a lack of sleep. Her smile slowly slip away, emerging only for him.

It also meant seeing his friends again, which he didn't mind. He'd quite missed having Robin, Neal, and James around. After all, James was nothing like his brother in Killian's opinion. A gentleman, one would say.

It was nice, however, to see Emma and Mary-Margret reunite. It was clear to Killian just how much Emma had missed having her best friend around.

Though Killian knew... she'd get busy again. She wouldn't always be around.

Back to school meant back to work. More assignments, more due dates.

Back to Broadway meant back to memorizing. Back to rehearsing, and back to managing an insane schedule between school work and scenes.

Killian thought it was hard for him, but seeing Emma juggle it all, with her honors enrollment classes and tendency to push herself... he felt blessed.

Back to everybody's daily routine meant David going down his list, making people miserable, breaking people's hearts. Just a day's work.

And back to routine meant back to Killian waiting for Emma each morning with two cocoas in hand.

He'd caught on to the habit.

Only that day, the start of the second week back from vacation, as he waited for Emma, cocoa in hand, Killian was confronted yet again in a way he'd thought he was rid of quite a while ago.

David.

He rushed up to Killian as he waited for Emma, sweaty and nervous.

"You alright, mate?" Killian asked, observing the strange sight before him.

"Killian I-I tried, I tried so many times but you wouldn't do it- you wouldn't break Emma but now, Killian I'm begging you, you have to break her heart," David panted.

"What the bloody hell is wrong with you?! Begging a man to crush the woman he loves?! Are you bloody mad?!" Killian exclaimed angrily.

He was far bored of David's games.