Chapter 12: The Next Day

Woohoo! Another chapter fresh and ready! Angst is coming... Thank you so much for 1K reads!!

A loud alarm was beeping profusely that morning. Emma groaned and smacked her alarm until it shut up already.

Her eyes fluttered open slowly, as if they were weighed down by sandbags, as she recalled the prior night's events.

They weren't pretty.

But she wasn't going to think about that.

After all, there had been some highlights to the evening. For example, the lovely moments she shared with Killian.

It was then that she noticed his arms were no longer around her.

On her nightstand, Emma found a handwritten note- from Killian.

Good morning, Swan.

I left just after you'd fully fallen asleep. I wasn't quite sure if you'd be comfortable with me spending the night. My sweater is at the edge of your bed in case you want it... I figured it may help you feel a bit more relaxed today. I'll see you for cocoa.

xoxo,

Killian.

Emma smiled at the sweetness of the note, and got up to dress herself, not even bothering with any makeup after what had happened. Her converse found their way to her feet, and Killian's sweater over her blouse. Without a word to Mary-Margret, she left the dorm.

Emma walked through the campus grounds to the cafe to meet Killian just as she did every day. A smile lit up on her face when she saw him, butterflies fluttering away in her stomach when he grinned.

"Hey," she said softly as she approached him, more wary after recent events.

"Morning, love. I see you found the sweater," Killian noted with a warm smile. Emma nodded.

"You're never getting this back," she said with a shy smile, her arms crossed over her chest. Killian laughed and placed a warm kiss on her forehead as wrapped an arm around her.

"Mmm, I figured as much," he laughed.

"Can I um... can I hug you?" she asked hesitantly, in need of feeling his arms around her. In need of his comfort.

Killian smiled at her hesitation. It was absolutely adorable.

"You don't need to ask, Swan. Come here," he whispered in her ear as he wrapped his arms around her petite figure. "You alright, love?"

"Just... still a little shook up after yesterday," she answered, relaxing.

Emma, let her hands rest on his shoulders, and leaned up on her toes to kiss him.

"I still can't believe I get to do that" Emma smiled as they pulled away, returning to her place in his arms.

"What, kiss me?" Killian asked with a smirk.

"Yeah... And be with you," Emma shrugged in response. She stared up into his eyes in disbelief.

"Aye... Well, get used to it, love. Because I've no intention of allowing it to end any time soon."

With one last kiss, they parted ways and started towards their classes.

Emma's smile lingered so long as Killian was on her mind.

Though it wasn't long before someone slapped it right off her face, pushing her roughly into the wall so she fell to the floor.

"Ah!" she cried out, holding her shoulder. She looked up to meet the eyes of whomever had shoved her, but just saw the normal flow of students.

As she began to push herself back up, she was met with a blow to the stomach that sent her crashing back down.

"Stay down there. It's where you belong."

Emma let slip a tear, hating this, hating her life. Why her? What had she done to deserve so much hatred?

By the time she got to class, bruises had already formed on her face from the punch and on her back from the fall. Luckily nobody cared enough to notice.

Somehow, she managed to get through Creative Writing, but damnit... She had a meeting with Professor Booth, a counseling meeting.

She sighed, cursed under her breath, and made her way to Professor Booth's office, managing not to attain any further damage.

"Hey Emma, take a sea- whoa, what happened?" Professor Booth asked right off the bat.

"I don't really want to talk about it, Professor Booth," Emma attempted, shutting the door behind her.

"Emma, it's August. Call me August. Now can we skip the part where you stall for three hours? Because we both know I'm gonna get it out of you at some point. Why not make it easier on everyone and just tell me now?" August suggested.

Emma sighed.

"My life happened. It sucks, everything just- just sucks! I hate it!" Emma let out. "Every fucking day is endless torment! I'm pushed, punched, shoved, called worthless, ugly, nothing, orphan... I'm a walking target and I don't understand! I don't know what I possibly could've done to deserve this life! My parents left me on the side of the road as a newborn baby, foster homes always sent me back or replaced me, and until they did I was frowned upon and hit. I was nearly raped last night! Why me?! I can't, I can't do this anymore!" Emma broke. She let her tears fall, trusting August with the information.

"What do you mean... you can't do it?" he asked slowly.

"I mean that sometimes I wish that everything would just go away. Sometimes I just want it all to end," Emma confessed.

"What exactly is 'it'? What do you want to end...?" August continued.

"Everything," Emma whispered, refusing to make eye contact.

"Emma... I'm going to ask you a question and I want you give me an honest answer. Can you do that?" August asked.

Emma nodded, swallowing back the fear of what his question might be.

"How come I only ever seen you in long sleeves? You've never worn anything that doesn't cover your arms," August commented.

"I-I just like long sleeves," Emma stuttered, tugging at the hem of Killian's sweater and hugging her stomach.

"I have no doubt, they look lovely on you... Would you mind rolling up your sleeves for me?" August asked gently.

Emma's heart stopped and she looked up at the teacher with wide eyes, her breath growing heavy.

"What? I don't-" she couldn't finish her sentence. Her lip trembled. She fell into a fit of choking sobs as she tried to breathe.

"Hey, Emma. It's okay. Look at me. It's okay. You don't have to do it, I'll help you," August soothed, coming over to her. Emma turned her head away as he took her hand gently and tears soaked her face.

Very slowly, August rolled up the sleeves of Killian's sweater revealing several old... and fresh... scars. Cuts.

"Oh god, Emma," August whispered, tracing his hand over her arm.

At that Emma completely crashed. Panic hit her like a wrecking ball and suddenly the floodgates crashed open. The tears fell endlessly, her breath came in short, quick gasps.

August pulled out his phone, dialing a number, and Emma feared the worst.

"No, you ca- can't," she choked. "Y-You ca- can't call any-anyone, pl-please," she managed. She didn't want a shrink. She didn't want a social worker. They'd only make things worse.

"Emma, I'm getting Killian," August said with sad smile.