Chapter 3: Chosen

Hope that last chapter was satisfactory! As usual please do leave your thoughts in the comments and if you like the chapter then maybe even give it a vote! Enjoy!

Killian stood, dumbfounded, as Emma walked off.

She was so closed off, so protective of herself. It was like... even if people did want to be around her, which he didn't understand why they didn't, she wouldn't want them around anyway.

She was hurt, somehow, in her past, and it wasn't good for her to remain closed off for this long... Killian intended to find out what it was.

What exactly was it that made her like this? So afraid of everything?

What made her 'used to' being bullied?

He checked his schedule.

Chemistry. He was nearly certain Emma was in that class with him.

Emma walked into the chemistry lab, ignoring the stares she received as she grabbed her lab coat.

At least that would cover up the mud stains.

She slipped it on, going right to the corner of the room farthest from where anybody would be. She pulled out her notebook, following procedures in studying chemical reactions when a figure sat beside her.

"Sorry, I'll move," Emma said quietly by instinct, not even looking up to see who'd sat down. She started to pick up her things when a warm hand enveloped her own. Her eyes shot up to meet two bright blue ones.

"Killian," Emma said with an understanding smile. 

"Don't move, I came to this table for a reason," Killian said smiling warmly.

"Okay," Emma whispered.

They worked together quietly, putting formulas together and recording their observations until Emma broke the silence.

"Can I ask you something?" Emma asked quietly.

"You just did," Killian joked. Emma paused, staring at him blankly for a moment, a smile soon spreading across her face as she understood.

"Hey," she said with a little giggle, shyly smacking his arm. 

And gods that giggle.

How it made Killian's heart flutter.

How it made him wish more than anything to hear it again. 

His whole body warmed at the sound of her happiness, a grin spreading across his face.

She bit her lip, looking down with a blushing smile.

"Seriously though, I have a question," Emma said, fidgeting with her pencil.

"Aye, what is it?" Killian asked after a moment of silence.

Emma thought a moment, scrunching her eyebrows together cutely, her pencil eraser between her teeth as she thought of how to word the question.

"Why do you... why are you being so... nice to me?" Emma asked. Killian's eyes softened at such an innocent question.

"Emma... no matter how many people have or do bully you around here or how many people think you're invisible... you deserve better than that. You're a lovely lass, you've got a beautiful personality, and anybody's got to be mad not to want to be around you," Killian said honestly.

Emma smiled lightly, still looking slightly confused. He'd talked about her personality. That was new.

"Thanks..." Emma said, blushing lightly. "None of it's true, but thanks." She cast her eyes to the ground, pulling at the buttons of her lab coat.