Chapter 16: Vacation Prep

Sorry for this being so late, everyone! Hopefully the chapter makes up for it! Just some fluff before other stuff 😊

Killian Jones's eyes fluttered open to the most wonderful sight the next morning. In his arms, sleeping soundly, Emma was cuddled. And the little smile on her face from the night prior remained.

Killian looked over at the clock and grinned. He still had a few hours to spare before either of them had to be in classes. Rising from the bed to use the bathroom, Killian found himself grinning, once again in adoration.

Emma held tightly onto him, mumbling, "Killian..." as he tried to get up, curling up to him further.

He wondered how one woman could be this adorable.

This innocent.

This lovable.

Killian managed to slip out of Emma's grip, dropping a kiss on her forehead, down on her nose, and of course, he couldn't resist just one on her lips.

As soon as Killian got halfway to the bathroom, Emma had noticed the lack of his presence and rolled over to find his pillow.

The little smile was gone.

But the moment she grabbed his pillow laced wth his scent, the little smile reappeared and she fell back into a sound sleep.

When Killian returned from the bathroom, he found Emma rubbing her eyes and watching him sleepily. He grinned, crawling over her and kissing her softly.

"Mmm," Emma sighed, "good morning to you, too."

She looked up into his eyes, nuzzeling her nose against his cheek.

"So," Killian started. "You remember how you hadn't informed me of your birthday until after it'd passed?"

Emma grinned triumphantly. "Yep. And now we don't have to celebrate it."

All her life, Emma was so used to the lack of attention that celebrating her birthday just didn't seem appealing.

A celebration of another year alive? More like an acknowledgement that she was was one year closer to death.

May-Margret understood and listened when Emma said she didn't want anything each year. There was never a party, never gifts. Just how Emma wanted it.

But... well, Killian wasn't going down without a fight. He knew deep down that it wasn't that Emma didn't want it party. It was that she didn't deem herself worthy of one.

"Well... I think we should have a late celebration," Killian suggested, sitting up and bringing Emma with him.

"What?" Emma asked skeptically as Killian entwined their fingers.

"Answer me this. What are you doing for Christmas break? You know I'm staying with my parents back in Maine but you never told me your plans."

"I mean, it's just gonna be what it usually is. Mary goes off with her friends and I stay here at campus. It's not like I have any family to visit," Emma answered quietly.

"Then come with me. Come meet my parents and Liam, we celebrate Christmas together, we celebrate your birthday, you don't have to be alone. Come with me," Killian said, looking down into her eyes excitedly.

"Killian you don't have to bring me with you, it's alright," Emma insisted, avoiding his eyes.

"But I want to. Come meet my family. Spend the holiday with me," Killian said with a soft smile, caressing her cheek.

"I-I can't," Emma stuttered.

"Why's that, Swan?"

"What if they don't like me? Emma whispered, her eyes glistening.