Hunter: The Ending...?

Sealing up the small postal box, pain I had managed to keep at bay was now back in full force. Taking a deep breath I picked up the marker and wrote down the Councils address on the front and then just stared at it. I'd been off the radar for a few months now, but this was kind of final. I could be called a deserter. Rogue. Some would always see me as the Hunter who wouldn't, someone selfish. I was a lot of things really, but until coming across the bag with the diaries in I had been happy enough. Besides, since when did I care what people think? Stopping the end of the world should really give me a free pass away from that life.

Reece had told me a lot of things before died. The general theme of his message was to be happy, to be me and to live. I had been doing just that, but the week or so had me feeling restless. Finding the journals really hadn't helped at all. I had nothing worked out. Who was I? Who did I want to be? Either way, I had the freedom to work it out. I was still human, still trying to find my way in this life and trying to keep it void of any demonic activity. I did kind of miss that though. Taking a shower, I made sure to get rid of my thought in there, but I couldn't get the redness of my eyes to go away thanks to all the crying I'd done. Once I was ready to leave my apartment, I put on my biggest pair of sunglasses to hide it. 

"I'm going out Alfie!" I called out from the small backyard. The grass rolled down the hill and into the water and sure enough his head soon appeared on the surface. He only nodded, disappearing to where ever he goes and going out the front, got in my car. To think I was going to let Jordan look after him? I guess being near death made you do crazy things.

Checking the time, I was running late for lunch and getting to the cafe I was meeting Matt at, I was glad there was a post office on the corner opposite. He was already sitting outside, browsing over the menu deep in thought as I snuck up behind him. Grabbing his shoulders, I lean over to kiss his cheek as he jumps, turning to glare at me before smiling. "Hey gorgeous!"

"Hey yourself. Have you been waiting long?"

"Nope, I'm learning you're never on time so just got here." I sit the box on the chair beside me and he looks over curiously. "What’s that?"

"Nothing," I answer too quickly.

"Stuff from your spy days, Agent Bond?"

"Yeah, my spy days." I laugh, picking up a menu. Considering how we met, things get awkward sometimes. I let him go with the spy jokes because it's as close as he will ever get to the truth. I don't believe in things happening by chance so the day I left home and took a flight to New York, Matt was sitting beside me on the plane. We got talking, and ironically saw each other again at a museum. Then we really got talking and we also ended up applying at the same college and started studying this year together. He is furthering his art stuff now his time in Paris is up and I'm still trying to work out what I'm doing. I started health and fitness, but I hate it.

On New Years Matt asked me to be his girlfriend, officially, and it wasn't the worst decision I ever made in my life, though I don't think it was the best either. I was happy living in this world I created, but finding the diaries today though made me look at myself a little more critically – questioning everything. There were evil things that needed to be dealt with, yet my main issue was my assignment due on Monday. It seemed almost pathetic to me now. I can't keep ignoring these thoughts; they won't let me.

Sitting out in the sun, surrounded by carefree diners and Wednesday shoppers, I found it hard to remember there were demons and darkness hiding around us. Somewhere a Hunter would be hunting a demon, a Tracker could be fighting with a shifting and a Slayer might be executing a raid on a vampire while they hide from the sun I am now sitting here enjoying. 

I focus on placing my order and let Matt talk about the class he had this morning. Not really listening, I can't help notice the black SUV on the other side of the street. Who ever it is driving has the seat down as I can't see the body, but I can see the arm they have resting on the window ledge. A shiver runs up my spine and I idly twirl the ring on my finger that helps hides me from my kind. I was getting slack in how well I picked up on those around me, I nearly passed a vampire the other night without realizing what it was. It was stupid to be so unaware, yet my new life made it easy to do.