Chapter 4

After a big breakfast at my favourite cafe, we make our way to the pack house which isn't too far from Logan's place. A sinking feeling hits my stomach as it looks like every man and his dog is waiting for us.

Literally.

The werewolves in this area must be rather cozy with the wolf shifters as I quickly counted at least ten wolves prowling around the people watching us. I don't like anything to do with any of this, and the thought that we may very well be walking into a trap crosses my mind. A flicker of doubt about Logan also comes along, but while all of this seems wrong, I don't think I've made a mistake by trusting him.

"Are they always this friendly?" I whisper, getting out of Logan's car.

"I'm a Tracker, and you're a Hunter. Do you blame them for being on edge?"

He had a point. We were typically solitary predators, unlike our pack loving friends. Whatever arrangement he has in place probably didn't involve having a backup of his own.

"Follow my lead and go with what I say. Trust me." Logan orders, and I instantly pull away as he takes my hand. "That would be following my lead."

"Holding your hand is-"

"Do it." He grabs my hand roughly, and so I squeeze his hard while smiling innocently, as he scowls down at me.

We head up the driveway towards the waiting crowd. All eyes are on me as they know Logan and the only thing they know about me is what I am. One of the wolves trots over cautiously, and we stop walking as it sniffs my legs. Instantly its ears drop flat, and its hackles bristle along its grey spine.

"Calm down Wolf. I'm not here to cause trouble." Ignoring the tug on my hand to keep walking, I stare at the animal, and it doesn't appreciate it.

Lesson one in dealing with animals. No fear. It growls, and a few others come close, ready to defend their pack mate.

"You just love making friends where ever you go," Logan mutters under his breath, looking towards the silent crowd and approaching wolves.

Shutting him up, the wolf seems to relax, and I step away as it walks against my legs before going back to the others. My jeans have a thick layer of hair on them now, and I move to brush it off. "Seriously?"

"Let it go, come on. Just try to pretend to like me and act like someone other people can like?" Logan grabs my arm and starts to drag me towards the house.

Still, no one says anything, not even a hello or a wave. The feeling that we're walking into a trap or at least a horror movie only increases with every step. All we needed now was a cornfield and some children to appear with glowing eyes. If they did appear, I'm willing to sacrifice Logan to get away.

The house is at least three levels high, so less house more mansion or judging by the brickwork, castle. Once inside, a giant hall greets us. It's almost like a ballroom or something out of a fantasy novel with tapestries of wolves and monsters lining the walls. Despite the more modern appearance outside, it's like the further we walk in the more time rewinds until we turn left and into a meeting room. A large wooden table fills the centre of the space, and sure enough against the back wall, there is an actual throne.

Whoever does their woodwork has some skill.

Dark red velvet curtains cover the windows and the chandeliers that offer a dim light to the room hang above the table. They are far from the more modern, crystal elegance I usually see. They looked old, like right out the 17th century and movement by the throne alerts me to the fact we are not alone.

The scratch of a nail on the wooden flooring makes me spin around, and three wolves run in from outside to take place around the room. I'm surprised they didn't bring in the newspaper to drop at the Alpha's feet as she comes in to sit on her oversized chair. Superiority complex much?