Chapter Eleven.

Locking my diary away, I take a break from planning what I was going to do next and decide to relax in front of the TV. Passing Mum and Dads room, their hushed argument instead gets my attention and I listen in.

“Just take the kid, I’m not leaving them in the house alone!” Dad snapped.

“She’s an adult and…”

Oh god. They’re talking about Logan and I, being alone.

Opening the door they both jump and crossing my arms I only glare.

“Ellie, everything alright love?” Dad is being nice. Too nice.

“Whatever this is all about, forget it.”

“Want to come to the shops with me? I need to get some more groceries.” Mum finishes getting ready and picking up her bag, I understand now. Dad doesn’t want her going alone and doesn’t want to leave Logan and I here.

“God no, but Logan loves doing domestic duties!”

They both look at me doubtfully, yet it is the easiest solution to their sudden parenting dilemma. Finding Logan in the kitchen, he was more than willing to get away from Dad for a few hours too.

I phone up Vesna and get filled in on Alfie. His demon side has only come out twice and they’ve had to keep the Trackers away from his enclosure as he doesn’t seem to like them very much. Getting off the phone, I tune in to some reality TV and Dad ends up coming to join me even though he is on his laptop the whole time.

This is normal.

Nice.

I used to be able to veg in front of the TV for hours, days if there was something really good to watch. Now I was just getting fidgety. The urge to go back to planning my own attack on Selene became consuming and so I started channel surfing to try and distract myself.

“Put down the remote. How about we go do some training?” Dad gets up and stretches, taking the remote from my hand he turns off the TV.

“I guess so?” I follow him down the back and I wonder just how out of shape I am sparring with Dad gets me sweating before his breathing has even become disturbed.

“Ellie, slow down. You give it your all too soon, pace yourself. Demons feed off your energy, if you’re pumped and ready to go so are they. If you take this slowly and calmly, you can get control of the fight a hell of a lot quicker.” He guides me through a few more exercises and as we take a break, I realize we haven’t even argued this whole time. “You’re so much like me kiddo.”

I take it as a compliment.

For a bit of fun, he takes out two swords and I easily twirl it in my hand, getting a feel for it.

Only then the feeling hits.

Whenever danger is near, our body seems to react to it. Maybe it’s a change in the air or our blood responding to the demon it attracts, but I lower the sword to my side and look towards the door.