Chapter Twenty Two

Scratching under Alfie’s chin, Reece keeps glancing up from his phone to watch me. Needing to break the growing tension, I leave Alfie to sit beside him at the table. The chair groans under my weight and much like the whole room it desperately needs to be upgraded to something from this century. Logan’s taste in hotels and any kind of accommodation varied greatly to my own preferences.

“So, I was thinking.”

“Should I be worried?” Putting down his phone, Reece looks at me expectantly. Everything about him is guarded. It’s almost as if you looked hard enough you could see the wall he hides behind.

“You, Me, Logan – a Slayer, a Tracker and Hunter…”

“Please don’t try and come up with another lame bar joke.” He smiles, and as casual as we interact with each other – I cant help but wonder if we’re both brilliant at faking it.

“Nope. Not a bar joke!” He groans and I laugh, it’s like once we break the initial piece of ice, we’re fine. “Us three, we’re like the three musketeers!”

“We’re not like the three musketeers.”

“Do you even know who they are?” I quiz. Of course we’re like them. There are three of us for a start and after last night helping each other out, all for one and one for all seems fitting.

“Do you? I’m older than you remember, I was-“

“If you say watching three musketeers before I was born I will punch you.” He laughs and it’s good to hear. He is always so serious and thinking back to the night we first met, I can’t believe he got up on a table to dance with me. “I take that as a yes.”

“Hungry?”

“Great way to avoid being hit. You should know by now I’m always hungry!”

We’re on the moldy smelling sofa with Alfie, eating junk food when Logan comes back.

“Hey, here he is – the third musketeer!” I call out before throwing Alfie another chip. Something is wrong and not because I have my legs stretched out over Reece’s lap. “Logan?”

“I got a call from Kieran. It’s not good news Ellie.”

Jordan.

“What? What happened?” I can hear my pitch rising with each word as panic takes over. Alfie looks at all three of us and as I stand, he coils around my body and his tongue flicks towards Logan, trying to work out of there is a threat or not.

“The fae were outnumbered and out powered. They were ambushed with no warning and the underground was compromised.”

“What about Jordan!” I scream, glad Alfie was holding me. I would have either started beating him for answers or fell down in a hysterical fit if wasn’t. “Logan, what about Jordan!”

He looks at Reece and the pair move closer. Alfie doesn’t like it, rising to strike he hisses at them both. He can do what ever he wants if it get them talking quicker.

“It was a full moon, demons, werewolves – vampires. They were ambushed and they got him Elise. Kieran and Raya were only a couple of the handful of survivors. They must have been attacked when we were.”

“It wasn’t a full moon last night, that was the night before!” He was lying, he couldn’t even get his facts right. Now I was just getting pissed off.

“The fae did something. It was overcast where we were – we wouldn’t have known.”

“You’re lying!” I yell again and as he steps forward, Alfie snaps at him.