Chapter Nineteen

Reaching over to my bag, I tuck my diary back into the hidden side pocket and dramatically flop back onto my bed. Logan’s cologne still lingers on the sheets and rather than enjoy the reminder of what went on, it only helps build my rage. Reaching over I pick up his own journal that I had successfully stolen out of this room an hour earlier while everyone was at lunch and read the last part of his entry again.

I never intended for my relationship to go to that level with Elise. Not yet at least. That girl has been on my mind since the first day I met her and wish I could have got her out of my system, but instead she is only more cemented in place.

She is going to hate me now.

When Grant and Kieran told me their plan, I didn’t want to be the one to do it. CJ managed to convince me it was for the best so my plan of going to talk to her first was ruined when I walked in on her packing her bags. One thing led to one of the best nights of my life and leaving her asleep I went out to get coffee.

I don’t think anyone suspected what happened last night, I made sure to come from the direction of my room and took the coffee from CJ as originally planned. She woke when I got back into bed. I’ve woken up beside her a few times before, but now everything is different. I was able to hold her, feel her hair  - kiss her. The whole time I prayed she wouldn’t pick up on my nerves and she didn’t. She looked so relaxed and happy I had a hard time looking at her as she drank her coffee.

I’m a dead man.

I stopped reading, throwing it across the room instead. To give him credit, he really hid his diary well. It was in a pair of boots with disgustingly stinky socks stuffed in above it. Sure it was a little torn and bent out of shape, but I really think he didn’t want it to be found. He had one thing right though, for all his sweet sentiments littered through the pages – he was a dead man.

Getting up, hunger won out and opening the door a guilty looking Raya stood beside Jodie who squealed and stepped back. “You scared the crap out of me!”

I said nothing, pushing between the pair of them. So much for thinking I had friends – they were all in on it too. Thankfully, whatever they gave me wasn’t like what Chris had shot me with when I was abducted and the side effects as the drugs wore off were nowhere near as bad. Since showering, there had been nothing. No hangover, no dizziness – I was back to normal.

“Elise! Wait! Please hear us out!” Raya called, and the pair ran after me down the stairs.

The place seemed emptier than the last few days and the few Trackers who sat in the dining hall watched us curiously as the two girls begged me to stop and listen. Going to the cafeteria door, lunch had been packed away and knocking the tired looked Chef opened the door.

“Do you have anything that is in packets?”

“Packets? Like chips?” He asked confused, looking behind me to see Raya still holding the plate that was no doubt for me. As if I would touch anything they have now.