Chapter 2

Whoever said what you learn at school is never used in real life did not go to my Academy. It wasn't math or something relating to the periodic table, but sneaking out without being caught was the best lesson, and most of it was self-taught. I am confident my school would be the only one who would first applaud your skills of truanting before then giving you detention. I even received a certificate for it at graduation.

After spending the darkest hours of the night snooping through my father's office to see what he had learnt about my brothers' disappearance, I left before they woke. My parents must be getting old, or my skills are only getting better as not only did I get to poke around without waking anyone, I also managed to leave with Dad's car.

I'd already been gone for nearly an hour when, at seven o'clock on the dot, he rang. Hitting the accept call button on the steering wheel, I readied myself for whatever was coming.

"Oh hey, Dad!"

"Elise Agatha Bunting, where is my car?" It was much more civilised than what I was expecting, though he did throw in my middle name.

"What makes you think I know?" Silence. "Fine, I may have borrowed it."

"For an early morning joy ride? Where are you?"

"Love to tell you, but there is a police car following me. I better not talk and drive, unless you reported your car stolen in which case I hope I get to find out what this turbo button does! Ciao for now!"

Hanging up, I was confident I could still hear him cursing me. His new car was his pride and joy, but it was the only one that had a full tank of fuel in it, and I had somewhere to go. He tried calling back a couple of more times, only I didn't bother answering again, and by nine o'clock I was joining the crowd of office workers that filled up the city like worker bees returning to the hive.

Adjusting my suit jacket, I blend in with the bulk of the people entering the building and skipping the front desk, I slip through with enough ease to get onto the elevator. No one speaks on the way up, the smell of coffee dominating the tiny space. I don't have far to go and get out on the third level, stepping out like I know where I am going and supposed to be there. Spotting the reception counter, I move up to it and smile as genuinely as I can manage.

"Can I help you?" The older lady asks uninterested.

"Can you please point me in the direction of um," I search through my bag, pulling out the paper I had scribbled down the details. "Mrs Paula Dane?"

"May I ask the nature of your visit?"

I laugh and I know it sounds fake, trying to do my best impersonation of the reality stars I'm addicted to watching.

"To work. She called me yesterday to like, assist her. I've been applying for work, and my Mum keeps riding my ass to get a job, and I'm like, seriously Mum? Because it's not like she even needs-"

"Miss, you will find Paula third door on your left." She hands me a temporary pass, and I snatch it from her quickly to hang around my neck.

"Thanks! This is like, totes cool. I'm so Sex and The City right now!" I clap excitedly and ignore the look that could only be of disgust she serves me with as I strut towards the door.

The second I step into the room, the telltale stench of dog hits me. Of course, Dane had to be a werewolf. As I walked along the corridor, I thought of Logan. He would probably be annoyed if he found out a Hunter was about to be harassing one of his species, and maybe that was why Dad hadn't gone this far yet. We try not to step on each other's toes and who knew, if even any, how many Trackers had her under surveillance.