Track ten; pieces

IF SHE SOUNDS LIKE A COLLEGE PROFFESOR AT AGE 7 IM SORRY.

11 years ago; age 7

“Bella dear please get off that, you’re going to hurt yourself!” mom said laughing as dad picked me up and threw me on his shoulder

“Keep doing it Bells; just get your mother mad so she can give us some ice-cream until we both stop.” Dad says whispering in my ear causing myself to giggle. And with that dad sets me down and I run back onto the swing and stand on it while dad pushes me, causing me to slowly swing back and forth, back and forth.

We both stop laughing as mom has her perfectly manicured hand on her hips and her bright green eyes furrowed with a slight smirk. “Fine, let’s go get some ice-cream” she says finally giving in on dad’s offer. Dad and I both cheer as she shakes her head with the slightest of all smiles showing off her pearly white teeth. Dad scoops me up and jogs next to mom grabbing her waist and holding her close. Both giggling in the exact same moment

We stop at the ice-cream parlour where we’d always go on summer days like these and sit here until we get all cold then find ourselves being struck with the wave of heat we call outside. I order my favourite, bubble gum ice-cream it’s like two flavours melted into one. Both my lovely parents are sitting across from me; them both smiling at the sight of each other.

Mom with her full blonde hair cascading down her back with her life-filled green eyes and her birth mark still at her left cheekbone. And dad, with his clean shaved face, brown hair ruffled to the back of his head and his wide smile, trying to lick off my ice cream cone which was dripping down on my shirt.

-

9 years ago; age 9

Dear diary,

Mom comes home late on her day shift which leaves me and dad wondering where she goes. Leaves in the morning at 9 and comes back after 12. Dad has to stay home from work as she’s gone out somewhere; he always seems to make me the same thing every night; Kraft dinner.

I’ve noticed the happy brown eyes he used to have is now dark and foggy, the way he speaks isn’t as lively as before, he sometimes leaves me here alone on some nights and he comes home drunk then starts to throw things as I’m pretending to be asleep.

I don’t know what’s going on between them but this really needs to stop.

Love,

Me

-

8 years ago age; 10

Dear Diary,

I remember the day when mom came home while dad was at work and she took all her things and neatly folded it into her carry-on bag. She told me that she was just going on a little business trip; that was exactly last year diary, and I really hope she’s coming back.

Dad is a mess, he doesn’t even come home on most nights but its okay, I make myself Kraft dinner.

Love,

Me.

6 years ago; age 12

Dear diary,

Dad came home crying today as he didn’t have the words to speak. He didn’t even have enough strength to walk to my room. He said something really bad happened to mom and that she sort of deserved it for what she has done to us. Mom? I haven’t seen her in years, but I hope she’s okay. Dad says we’re visiting her tomorrow after school (he didn’t really say that I’m just guessing) but I really do miss mom.