Story: Trying T:Merciful

“Would you at least let me explain myself?”

She turns to let him have a glimpse of her eyes. The look she has in her eyes is so strong that it doesn’t matter that she’s looking away. He knows what she is thinking. And how she feels.

“Please…” He smirks.

She is quiet. Lost in her thoughts. He always loved that. The way she looked when she thought deeply. She seemed so captured. It almost made him jealous. The only time he could think this way was when he was playing video games. Not so romantic in his opinion.

“I’m sorry.” She mutters finally after a long period of silence.

“Don’t be.” He automatically replies with a hint of sorrow.

She hated him for that. He always knew how to say something under pressure. She had to take a moment. He seemed ready for anything. Any insult, and complement, any challenge.  Deep down inside, she knew one of her many answers.

‘I’ll always have you in my heart.’ She said so long ago. And to the day as they stood in front of the café, by sheer coincidence, she knew that he was still there. Her heart beat agonizing the places where he had made his presence known. She was trying to forget about him. After all, he broke her heart first. First.

“I have a place to be. Make it quick.” She replied trying to sound harsh. She could feel his relief and his remorse. He already told her that he loved her. However, this was the first time they had seen each other in years.

“I know you tried to hurt me.” He started.

Anger infused her. Tried? He dared to say that she tried? She did. Didn’t she? She lead him on for two years. Two. Why was he not hurt?

“But you didn’t. You relieved me.” He continued.

She smirked. She relieved him… That was a good thing. How was a negative action so positive?

“You gave me my friend back and that’s all I wanted.” He paused to see her reaction.

She had almost cried when they were talking on the phone. ‘I have obligations.’ She said making it seem like their talking was a job rather than a friendly conversation between two friends. However, they weren’t ‘two friends’ they were more than that. He knew. And he knew that she knew.

  She lifted him up with he had fallen. He was there to sooth her loneliness. She even declared herself as his best friend since he didn’t have one. Her voice calmed him down. When she laughed he felt happier than ever. Knowing that she was happy was all he wanted. Knowing that she could be happy with him? Even better.

“Until.” The word hung in the air as he saw her alarmed reaction. “until I could hardly take it. I could tell you anything.”

  Her tapping fingers on her dressed gripped the hem.

  “So I told you the truth.” He finished watching as she slowly melted back to the cold hearted person he knew was a mask.

  Under the shell was a beautiful woman that had a heart that felt like the sun on a cold day. The only warmth in some situations. The love he had or her only grew with her ‘trick’. He wanted her to be happy. He could tell that she wasn’t happy. If anything more he wanted her to be happy because of him.

  He watched as she checked her phone for the time.

  “That was nice.” She said almost emphasizing the bitterness she held for him from those years before too much. “I should be returning now. He’ll be wondering where I am.”

  His heart stung.

  “There is no he.” He frowned forcing his hand not to ball into a fist.

  She stopped in her tracks but didn’t turn to face him. He was always prepared. Always.

  “Is there...?” He said with the same tone as before. She had lied to him. He didn’t know exactly how stubborn she was going to be. She knew that he loved her. So why not let him?

  No. She thought as she began to walk away again. There’s been one and he hurt me even worse than you. She thought as she began to click her heals from the sprint. She couldn’t take it. This guy. Of all men. He had the nerve to know who she was. He knew her better than any other man. He loved her like no other. So why was she running? He had power. He changed her. He didn’t even know how much she loved him when they broke up. They talked about splitting up and getting back together. He had done his part and she somewhat did hers. He was a jerk. One that made history in her heart. More on the positive influences rather than the negative so why was she running? She had to find out herself.

  Looking up at the blue sky he held his breath. He was strong. He knew he was. Somehow, he put off that vibe. She knew how weak he was. She was his everything. Did she even try to understand how much he loved her and how much he didn’t care for this ‘trick’. ‘I lead you on and yet you still want to talk to me?’ He seemed baffled when she said that. Of course I do. You’re still my friend. I know about your loneliness. No. She didn’t like that answer. ‘We can’t be friends.’ She shouted. Hand on his heart the man slowly balled him fist. She felt like she was the one. Why was he fighting so hard for her? He had shed to many tears in front of her, because of her, and without her. Why was the feeling that she was right for him so strong when she couldn’t feel it?

  “One more try.” He said as he watched her drive away. “Only one.”