42: The End

These past few years have changed drastically. I have become too old to do anything ourselves, so Paisley, her husband Jackson and Ty. Georgie's kids take care of Heartland, and promise to keep it in our family forever.

"Mom, you shouldn't be riding." Paisley complains. "Telling me not to ride, is like telling me not to eat... I'll die." I say, hopping on Little Chip, Chip's grandson that Paisley gave to me. "Fine, but Ty is going with you." She says. "No, he is not." I say, urging little Chip on. "Mom! You are 89." Paisley yells. "And healthy." I say, not stopping.

I bring Chip to the field where Georgie and I first galloped together, and down to the barn where I first met Chip. "Aunt Lilith?" Georgie's son, Jack says. "Hey." I smile. "Paisley let you ride." He says. "Not really, she tried stopping me, but I just kept going." I smile. "Lets get you home." Jack laughs, taking his horse Flame, and hoping on.

We get home, and I bid farewell to Jack, as he rides back to Heartland. I see Paisley trying to convince Ty to ride. "What are you doing?" I ask. "Mommy is trying to make me ride." Ty complains. "You should." I say. "What if I fall?" He asks. "But what if you fly?" I reply. With that, Ty gets on his horse, and rides around. "Weeeee!" He laughs. I smile, and go to the barn. "You go inside, I'll untack him." Paisley says, taking Little Chip's reigns. "Thanks. I say."

I go to my room, and lie down. I turn to my side, and see it empty. Daniel died of cancer 3 years ago. I close my eyes, and imagine him, and what he is doing now. With that thought, I must have fallen asleep.

This is where I stop telling my tale, and where you connect the dots. So, I shall leave you with this. Every morning I would wake up, with no Daniel by my side, or Chip in the barn. But the next morning, Daniel lied awake by me, and Chip ran wild.

No heaven can be,
If my horse isn't there
To welcome me.